Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 ANY LEFT FOR ML SEASON-DEAD DEER >

ANY LEFT FOR ML SEASON-DEAD DEER

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

ANY LEFT FOR ML SEASON-DEAD DEER

Old 10-22-2007, 09:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default ANY LEFT FOR ML SEASON-DEAD DEER

We found 5 more dead deer on the farm Monday. This brings the total up to eight so far this year. The next seven day forecast does not forecast freezing weather. The officials say that it will take freezing weather to stop this. It was hard to believe we found 5 in one day. So far it has been 7 does and one yearling buck(4 pt.). I spoke with our local Opossum Protector on Monday. His comment was we need some cold weather. He asked me if any of the dead deer were fawns-and I said no. He said the fawns do not seem to be affected?? Tom.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: ANY LEFT FOR ML SEASON-DEAD DEER

"We found 5 more dead deer on the farm Monday."

It is really sad all those deer are dying. What is killing them? Which WV county? i'm planning on hunting in Pendleton and Randolph counties in muzzleloading season.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Find them near a pond or waterhole? They usually die trying to cool off as they burn up with fever. If you haven't checked around your water...

EHD ?
Old 10-23-2007, 08:33 AM
Typical Buck

EHD aka Blue Tongue. A midge born disease which causes internal hemorrage. Found 5 dead here in Maryland many years ago including a beautiful, symmetrical, 156 1/2" 10 point.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

Never heard of it before. Was raised in WV and have hunted there since i left. i knew that they died of something.On two occasions my Dad and i found lots of dead deer on tributaries of Gandy Creek in the 1980s.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am in Marion and Monongalia county. They are all being found by water. The state people are calling it EHD. Some kind of bug bite. The first freeze is suppose to kill the bugs. I hope!!! However there is no freeze in sight. I ground hog hunted a field in Greene Co., PA the other evening. There were 5 dead deer laying in the field I was in. I have teen told Greene Cty., PA is getting hit hard-as I evidenced. Tom.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:43 PM
Fork Horn

I feel your pain, we have an EHD outbreak in southern Indiana. Found a bunch of dead deer 2 weekends ago on my hunting grounds.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am notconvinced this EHD is the same strain as has been experienced in the past but I'm certainly no expert at anything. There is just something different about it, including the fact that it did not disappear after the first hard freeze during our outbreaks - but that could have been just cases that had yet to develop. And it is in the same family as Blue Tongue but is not the same disease. Blue Tongue easily infects cattle as well and can be quite deadly to them. This strain of EHDhas so far been reported in only one small herd of cattle (to my knowledge) but cattle generally recover from it without issues.

I wonder if the major auto insurance companies operate any biological research facilities.