Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 mountain lions in ny >

mountain lions in ny

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

mountain lions in ny

Old 11-17-2006, 06:32 AM

Default RE: mountain lions in ny

Last winter in Long Lake NY my father-in-law and I were walking down a logging road after a fresh snowfall and found tracks that looked like a mountain lion's. We called the DEC, and they sent out a biologist from Albany (about 2 hours away). His response? "Yes, sir, those are mountain lion tracks. However, there are no mountain lions in NYS."

I kid you not.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:36 AM

maybe it's owner took his pet lion for a walk? did you see any leash drag marks or human tracks next to the lion prints?
Old 11-17-2006, 06:56 AM

ORIGINAL: salty

maybe it's owner took his pet lion for a walk? did you see any leash drag marks or human tracks next to the lion prints?
No human tracks next to it. There was a drag mark from the tail, as you'll see in mountain lion tracks. Also this was on a private road in a community of about 350 winter residents. One of those places where everybody is related. It makes the paper when somebody gets a new snowmobile, so if it was a pet the owner would be a local celebrity.

I see you're from Marlboro. Do you know the Pagnottas?
Old 11-17-2006, 07:11 AM

Yes I do. I grew up in Marlboro but live 40 mins north now in Hurley. I lived in Marlboro for 28 years. A new ATV or Snowmobile purchase around here also makes our weekly newspaper and warrants drinks on Saturday night at the bar!
Old 11-17-2006, 07:17 AM

I went to college with Paul and got to know a couple of his high school buddies a little bit, Zupe and Sweet. I'd be willing to bet Paul and his old man Dom will be out in the woods tomorrow morning.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rover109

Last winter in Long Lake NY my father-in-law and I were walking down a logging road after a fresh snowfall and found tracks that looked like a mountain lion's. We called the DEC, and they sent out a biologist from Albany (about 2 hours away). His response? "Yes, sir, those are mountain lion tracks. However, there are no mountain lions in NYS."

I kid you not.
Just curious as to how many people do you think believe you or take your story seriously vs. how many you think figure it's just bs and are laughing at you?
Old 11-17-2006, 11:34 AM

I went to college with Paul and got to know a couple of his high school buddies a little bit, Zupe and Sweet. I'd be willing to bet Paul and his old man Dom will be out in the woods tomorrow morning.
I thought Dom died? wasn't he the HS science teacher? I had him as a teacher in school and he actually carried a pistol strapped to his ankle. I grew up about 1 mile from his house.
Old 11-17-2006, 11:36 AM

ORIGINAL: Sylvan

I kid you not.
Just curious as to how many people do you think believe you or take your story seriously vs. how many you think figure it's just bs and are laughing at you?
I believe his story 100%. All joking aside. During snowmobile season in Tug Hill every bar you come across in the backwoods there is someone just after hunting season talking about a mountain lion or mountain lion tracks in the snow. I dare you to tell one of those locals that they must be blind! LOL that would be funny
Old 11-17-2006, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I believe his story 100%. All joking aside. During snowmobile season in Tug Hill every bar you come across in the backwoods there is someone just after hunting season talking about a mountain lion or mountain lion tracks in the snow.
So would you say most of the locals believe it? Why do you think the NYDEC doesn't believe it?
Old 11-17-2006, 11:52 AM

not sure why the DEC wouldn't believe it.It was even in the newspaper up there a couple years back. Honesty I don't see it as that big of a deal. If they are in VT they can easily be in NY. There isn't a 20 ft tall fence around NY last I checked. They are free to roam wherever and whenever just like Moose do.

Put it this way. If the city of poughkeepsie in dutchess county have to chase a cow moose off of main street than I 150% believe there are mt lions in NY.

Quick Reply: mountain lions in ny

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.