Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 mountain lions in ny >

mountain lions in ny

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

mountain lions in ny

Old 11-17-2006, 03:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: mountain lions in ny

ORIGINAL: salty

not sure why the DEC wouldn't believe it.It was even in the newspaper up there a couple years back. Honesty I don't see it as that big of a deal. If they are in VT they can easily be in NY. There isn't a 20 ft tall fence around NY last I checked. They are free to roam wherever and whenever just like Moose do.
Why do you think there are ml's in VT. Vermont, Mass, New Hamshire and Maine fish and game all say the same as NY, i.e. no evidence to support them being there.
Old 11-17-2006, 03:38 PM

DuBrock said the commission has always investigated mountain lion sightings. But up until now, the agency didn’t have an official protocol for responding to them, keeping track of how many reports were received or where they came from.
Starting this month, commission officials who respond to mountain lion reports will collect a standard set of information, including eyewitness accounts, photographs, videos and any physical evidence such as hair, tracks and scat.
"We’ll be able to quantify the reports, and, in a sense, qualify them," DuBrock said.
Just because the commission has developed a standard method for tracking lion sightings doesn’t mean officials believe the animals are here. In fact, DuBrock said the new procedures were created largely out of frustration about how much time agency employees have wasted following up reports that lead nowhere.
In the past, the commission has received photographs, videotapes, tracks and scat from a variety of animals — including bobcats, housecats, foxes, fishers, coyotes and bears — that people thought were mountain lions.
Despite that, commission officials don’t completely rule out the possibility that a mountain lion or two may be roaming around out there. But if they are, officials can’t understand why a cougar hasn’t been shot or killed on a highway.

That's because the numbers are not even as close to beinghigh as bobcats or bears asI stated. But they do not rule them out here in Pa.

Old 11-18-2006, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I laugh every time I hear of people seeing tracks. I hunt in one of the most heavily populated cougar areas in the US, and most people that I take hunting can not tell the difference between wolf, dog and cougar tracks. There are differences that most will not pick up on. I grew up hunting in the southern teir and these rumors have been going on for years and years. As far as cougars controling the coyote population, I dang near peed myself laughing when I read that one. I suppose that one got by the insurance companies who introduced the coyotes to control the deer population. If a cougar and coyote got in a tussle over a fresh kill, The cougar might kill the coyote, but I have yet to see one chasing a coyote down. Cougars will not waste their time and energy chasing and killing something that is of no benefit to them. I am not saying that cougars may be there or not and will remain neutral on that topic, but I do however get a real kick out of reading these cougar threads and the theories that some come up with!!!! Some are blessed at spotting cougars I guess, because I see one on average every 6-8 years, and log 50+ days a year in the Idahoback country. Let me know how you do it becasue I would like 1 or two more cougar rugs on the wall. Have a great day!!
Old 11-18-2006, 11:44 AM

ORIGINAL: Elkcrazy8

I laugh every time I hear of people seeing tracks. I hunt in one of the most heavily populated cougar areas in the US, and most people that I take hunting can not tell the difference between wolf, dog and cougar tracks. There are differences that most will not pick up on. I grew up hunting in the southern teir and these rumors have been going on for years and years. As far as cougars controling the coyote population, I dang near peed myself laughing when I read that one. I suppose that one got by the insurance companies who introduced the coyotes to control the deer population. If a cougar and coyote got in a tussle over a fresh kill, The cougar might kill the coyote, but I have yet to see one chasing a coyote down. Cougars will not waste their time and energy chasing and killing something that is of no benefit to them. I am not saying that cougars may be there or not and will remain neutral on that topic, but I do however get a real kick out of reading these cougar threads and the theories that some come up with!!!! Some are blessed at spotting cougars I guess, because I see one on average every 6-8 years, and log 50+ days a year in the Idahoback country. Let me know how you do it becasue I would like 1 or two more cougar rugs on the wall. Have a great day!!
Is there one person on here who said they see a cougar every time out or was it that a few people have seen one before in the wild?You live in Idaho and see one 6-8 years,What is the population of cougars out there compared to a handful here in each eastern state? Of course your not goanna see many sightings of them here as you do out west. The point is,People come up with,No road kills or hunter shooting one yet in the eastern states.Well you put as many here in this state as out west,I guarantee there will be road kills and hunters shooting them. With only a handful that is ridiculous to even say anything like that. Do the math,2 0r 3cougars in a state what are the chances of one of them being killed by a hunter or vehicle or filmed on a cam?
Old 11-18-2006, 01:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wonder if the Mountain Lion skeptics believe in God?

My sister is an Atheist. Explain to me how I can prove to her there is a God.

By the way, she lives in northern PA and believes there are ML's there. She says with all the sightings and reports of tracks that gives you something to go on. She keeps asking me for some evidence of a God.

What do think I should tell her?
Old 11-18-2006, 04:09 PM

I know there are several stories about mountain lions in NYS... the DEC's stance is since their is not sustainable population they do not exist. Proof will only be a dead animal.

Now one story I do believe is one my father has told me several times... he was an avid coon hunter when he was young... so this story would be back in the 50's - 60's I am not certain. But he has told me of a story of a hunt (with his brothers) in Catt County... that they had thought they had tree'd a very large coon. They were only carrying a 22 LR pistal (his old service side arm) and they had shotit a coupletimes... the issue was that when they shot it is screamed at them... he said that it wasa blood curdling scream. They decided then to grab the dogs and leave with haste.

On another subject... this one in Erie County back in the 70's... when I was little (6 or 7) I remember a coon hunt my father took me on where we had thought we had treed a coon back in a swampy area... I remember the dogs barking and my father putting me down next to the lantern while he approached to see what they had bayed... when he got close to the action I remember all hell breaking loose and a black bear running past me and my brothers standing next to the lantern. I believe I still have the brown streaks in my underware.
Old 11-18-2006, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Windwalker7

I wonder if the Mountain Lion skeptics believe in God?

My sister is an Atheist. Explain to me how I can prove to her there is a God.

By the way, she lives in northern PA and believes there are ML's there. She says with all the sightings and reports of tracks that gives you something to go on. She keeps asking me for some evidence of a God.

What do think I should tell her?
I believe in God by faith. I don't believe it's even possible to prove He exists but, again,I accept His existence by faith. I also accept that others don't share my faith and there will be nothing I can say to convince them otherwise. I consider the ml question, however, from a logical perspective looking at the evidence and don't consider it a matter of faith at all. In fact I think it's silly to even draw the comparison you have. It's not a religious question. The existence ofml's, unlike God, can be proved.So, based on the evidence, or should I say lack there of,I am of course highly skeptical. If you are trying to say that you and othersby faith believe in their existencehere in NY then there is no point debating this further. If you just believe and don't need any evidence to support that belief then by definition you will not be swayed by a logical argument so what's the point? You've made it a pseudo religion and have replaced logic and evidence with faith.

Now regarding what to tell your sister, let me suggest bringing it up in the religion forum.
Old 11-18-2006, 05:29 PM

ORIGINAL: salty

I thought Dom died? wasn't he the HS science teacher? I had him as a teacher in school and he actually carried a pistol strapped to his ankle. I grew up about 1 mile from his house.
I'm not sure if Big Dom is still around or not. He was / is a great guy. After he quit teaching he went back to school for mortuary science and spent his retirement enbalming people. I believe that he taught with a pistol. I guess he used to hunt with a .44 because he thought rifles made it too easy. My favorite memory of Dom was about 15 years ago Paul had a bunch of his college friends to Marlboro for dinner with his folks. As we were leaving that night, he came out to the car and said, "Remember your morality. Keep your zippers zipped."
Old 11-18-2006, 05:42 PM

ORIGINAL: Sylvan

ORIGINAL: Rover109

Last winter in Long Lake NY my father-in-law and I were walking down a logging road after a fresh snowfall and found tracks that looked like a mountain lion's. We called the DEC, and they sent out a biologist from Albany (about 2 hours away). His response? "Yes, sir, those are mountain lion tracks. However, there are no mountain lions in NYS."

I kid you not.
Just curious as to how many people do you think believe you or take your story seriously vs. how many you think figure it's just bs and are laughing at you?
Hmm, thanks for the welcome to the board. Let's see, who took it seriously...The DEC did. They sent a biologist over two hours from Albany to check it out. As for people laughing at me, well, you've got me there. My guess would be zero (come on, did you really laugh?). You don't believe that there are mountain lions in NYS. OK. I think there might be.
Old 11-18-2006, 06:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

poison, read through all of the past threads on this topic over the past couple of years. You will find that there are people who see them on a regular basis. For many years in a row. If there is 2-3 wandering around the entire state of new york, then why do some people see them time and time again. So my statement then holds some value. I was pointing out that in a state where the population is very high, cougars are not regularly spotted.

Besides, with the way the woodlots are lined with orange hats, I am sure that the chances of one being shot would be pretty high still with only 2-3 running amuck. Someone is bound to see one, but why the same people all the time?

If you read my statement, I am refering to all the threads that I have read on this topic and not only this one.................

Whether they are there or not, this still makes for interesting reading.

Quick Reply: mountain lions in ny

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.