Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 mountain lions in ny >

mountain lions in ny

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

mountain lions in ny

Old 11-14-2006, 11:31 AM

Default RE: mountain lions in ny

NY DEC thought it would be better for any insurance settlements if they declawed any mt lions released into the wild. I hear the DEC actually trained the cats to eat coyotes and nothing else. This is true and my uncle has a pic5 hrs from here damit

serious question..

wouldn't you guys like to see a mt lion in the wild? I know I would like to see one. They are awesome animals
Old 11-14-2006, 11:51 AM

pretty sure if a mtn lion was declawed it would starve to death. what are they gonna do, beat a deer to death? or just bite it w/o holding on?
Old 11-14-2006, 01:16 PM

I have a friend who has been a DEC officer in NY for 25 years. I also have a friend who retired as the DEC director of law enforcement. I have talked at length with both of them about this. Neither of them has seen proof of cougars in NY but they both agree that there probably are some here. They said there are too many reported sightings and some animals may have travelled through the state and stayed. They don't believe there is a significant population though. They said theDEC's official stance on this is they don't exist in NY because there isn't a sustainable population.

They both deny any involvement in NYS introducing cougars and I believe them, I know them well enough that they wouldn't keep it a secret.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:46 PM

i'd love to see one

at the end of my 300 mag
Old 11-14-2006, 02:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

serious question..

wouldn't you guys like to see a mt lion in the wild? I know I would like to see one. They are awesome animals
Serious answer...

Yes, I would like to see one dead, with my arrow through it, in the wild, and THAT would be awesome, because then we would have the proof!
I feel the need to shoot any I would see. They are not appropriate for the area of the Northeast. They are carnivores, each requiring a large territory and cannot coexist with the amount of human intrusion we have in this part of the country. When one eats your child, or your dog that you treat like your child, you would then agree. Folks that want to see them take hold in this part of the country have no idea what animal they are dealing with.

Old 11-14-2006, 03:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: rml127

I have a friend who has been a DEC officer in NY for 25 years. I also have a friend who retired as the DEC director of law enforcement. I have talked at length with both of them about this. Neither of them has seen proof of cougars in NY but they both agree that there probably are some here. They said there are too many reported sightings and some animals may have travelled through the state and stayed. They don't believe there is a significant population though. They said theDEC's official stance on this is they don't exist in NY because there isn't a sustainable population.

They both deny any involvement in NYS introducing cougars and I believe them, I know them well enough that they wouldn't keep it a secret.

exactly!!!
theres 100 of sightings, its just there so rare and there so little of them thats it hard to get a pic of one unless your really lucky...
im kinda scared to go in the woods now were the lion was spotted, will they attack people?
Old 11-14-2006, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

btw, is that pic real, how can that buck not here a lion 2 feet behind him, i mean he has his tail down and doesnt even care, what is he deaf, im sure that cat dont have scent lock fur on either.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:25 PM

I hear they only like to eat people from manhattan and LI.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: salty

I hear they only like to eat people from manhattan and LI.
o crap
Old 11-14-2006, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ABarOfSoap

btw, is that pic real, how can that buck not here a lion 2 feet behind him, i mean he has his tail down and doesnt even care, what is he deaf, im sure that cat dont have scent lock fur on either.
no, its fake. its been around for a while, and its a photoshop

Quick Reply: mountain lions in ny

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.