Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Disappointing PA Rut >

Disappointing PA Rut

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Disappointing PA Rut

Old 11-12-2006, 06:58 PM

Default RE: Disappointing PA Rut

I hit a good 8 pointer square in the shoulder near hamburg 12 days ago and I got the same reaction. Followed him all over the freakin mountain and nothing at the end. I saw him bird doggin a doe about 300 yards out while tracking him. He looked none the worse to me. My buddy saw him 2 days later and he was fine. Next year I am shooting a bow that will smack that deer and pin him to the ground.

I was in Mt. this year and our guide insisted that we shoot at least 65-70pd bows with 450+ gr arrows to make sure we had good kills. Hwe hates teh guys shoting 340 gr arrows. All they do is make tracking a lot harder. Penetration kills, advertising bow speed sells bows. I was under equipped but we did get 3 great animals for the 2 of us.

Old 11-13-2006, 06:10 AM

I hunted 3C every saturday but two weekends. I was up for all of last week, saw deer in every outing but the last day. Way to warm!! I did shoot a nice 6 point onOct. 21st, niceand heay for a two year old.Seemedliked our area the bucks had does lockdown starting around halloween.Seemed like ifya just hopped over the backside of the mountain we were huntin. The bucks were acting crazy, the bigger deer were showin themselves. Even though i shot my buck early iwanted to capture some rut action on video. Just didn't happen, like they say "what a diffference a year makes"!!!
Old 11-13-2006, 07:24 PM
Spike

This was one of my worst seasons in 13 years, AR is Bull, I'v seen more and bigger bucks in years past.Doe tag allocations don't mean anything, Look at the harvest reports if you can believe them, I'm not blaming anything on my poor year except for my bad luck streek.
Only opportunities I had this season were on spikes and 4 pts. and on the last day a decent 9pt but blew it because I didn't see him until he was just about under my tree and he just cruised right on. I did not see from my stand the 3 1.5 yr 8pts and 1 1.5 yr 10 pt that hung around my area. and the only mature 8 pt around disappeared mid season only to re apear on the 10th I wish the archery season was longer.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

well, I live 3 miles from Southern PA and all my friends hunt in the Adams county area and I can tell you the rut is just starting around here. I didnt see a buck until this past Sat that was even remotely interested in does. Sat I saw 6 bucks and all were chasing, of course the does werent interested.........hate to say it but your bowseason ending on Nov 11th is screwing you guys this year.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: doman

This was one of my worst seasons in 13 years, AR is Bull, I'v seen more and bigger bucks in years past.Doe tag allocations don't mean anything, Look at the harvest reports if you can believe them, I'm not blaming anything on my poor year except for my bad luck streek.
Only opportunities I had this season were on spikes and 4 pts. and on the last day a decent 9pt but blew it because I didn't see him until he was just about under my tree and he just cruised right on. I did not see from my stand the 3 1.5 yr 8pts and 1 1.5 yr 10 pt that hung around my area. and the only mature 8 pt around disappeared mid season only to re apear on the 10th I wish the archery season was longer.
Well, I'm confused!
Youhad a chance at a nice9 point and know of three 8 points, a 10 point and a mature 8 point in your area and you blame AR for crapping out. Just think of the bucks you didn't see! There is always one bigger that nobody gets to see.
I agree with you on the season being longer. I don't care if it's longer though, just that it starts two weeks later in the year. I have said that for years.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:40 PM

Due to work and being really sick I only got out two times. First time out I jumped a spike walking in to my stand. Stood 15 yrds from me and would have been an easy shot. Second time out was the last Thursday of the season. I rattled in a 6 or 8 pt couldn't tell it was too thick. He came in to about 40yrds and stopped. He stood there for about 20 min looking around. I hit the grunt call and he bolted. I jumped two more deer on my way out in the dark. Not too bad for 12 total hrs of hunting. I was hunting in 3D onpublic land.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:10 PM

I hunt public land here in 3D! I did not see a buck until Nov. 1! I then seen a doe the next evening from the same stand and watched her for 15 minutes when out of nowhere 2 buck came chasing her around! One was pretty small but the 2nd was a big 8 pointer! Never got close enough for a shot though! I then seen a nice 6 on the 21st! They were staring to chase but did not seem fully into it yet! Does stink they seem to come into the rut right after archery ends anymore! Oh well good luck to whoever has not got one yet! (Me included!)
Old 11-18-2006, 04:33 PM
Spike

The Reason AR isoverated for me is I used to never really see these little puky bucks. I have always seen 5, 6pts and better. everything runs in a cycles and the last few years the cycles are running worse not better.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunted the first 9 days of November in NY during the bow season.
I had the very same impressions of the "rut" as you!! Last year wasa copy of this past bow season as well. So don't you PA guys feel bad.