Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Disappointing morning.

Old 11-18-2006, 10:15 AM

Default Disappointing morning.

This morning about 40 minutes after daylight I had two does and a small buck run in the woods just west of where I was sitting in a blind. I was just getting ready to take out one of the does, when I saw a larger bucks coming across the field right towards me. He gave me a 60 yards shot broadside sitting still just staring at the doe. I squeezed with the crossharirs on the shoulder. Knocked his butt down he picked himself up and ran into the woods. What I didn't know was another bigger buck yet was right behind him and my buddy ended up shooting him. Some shots were fired a few moments later in the direction that my buck ran. When I went to track my deer my buddy came running up and told me some dude back in the woods just fired a shot at him on the ground. He told me he watched my deer go down, then about a minute or two later another hunter walked up to it and fired a shot into it. We went to the guy and he told me I shot him in the gut, but I know for fact I didn't because of the agle of the shot was right from where the shot to the chest was. He said he shot the deer on the right side, and I shot him on the left. It was clear that the shot to the chest came from the left, and the shot from the right was to the gut. I told him it made no sense for the shot to gut to be mine, and my buddy was yelling at him asking why he walked over and put a shot on him while he was already down. The guy responded what are you going to do about it there's two of you and about 10 of us across the creek. So I guess I can say I had a deer stolen and bullied out of my possession. What would you guys do?
Old 11-18-2006, 10:57 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Disappointing morning.

Should of called the Wardento sort it out, That's what I'll do. I hate people that steal others deer when they know it was put down already. I had the same problem happen to me when I just got into hunting.Me andmy bro threaten to called the Warden and he just left the deer to us. We decided to called the warden anyway and the guy got cited for harressment and some other stuff.
Old 11-18-2006, 04:22 PM

Sorry to hear about your experience. It's crazy what you'll see in the woods during a gun season. I am disappointed as well.
Old 11-18-2006, 04:27 PM
Fork Horn

game warden!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-18-2006, 04:38 PM

Game Warden or Local Sheriff. No need in getting into a cinfrontation when people have guns in there hands.
Old 11-18-2006, 05:27 PM
bigcountry

Oh yea, well sucks to be you

Old 11-18-2006, 10:47 PM

UPDATE
I found out this afternoon that the guy( I do know his name, but won't disclose it) who took my buck this morning also shot a buck yesterday. In Illinois unless you have landowner permits (which this individual did not) you can only take one buck. The state only issues one either sex tag for gun season, this excludes muzzleloader season of course. But anyway I found out he had some one else tag the deer. So my buddy, his brother who were witnesses along with myself and my dad called the warden before we headed out tot he woods this evening, and reported him for poaching a deer for which he had no tag. The warden said he'd take care of this and at dusk this evening sure enough he showed up at the end of lane and was checking everyones tags. He already had our statement as we left he was questioning the guy. Hopefully I'll find out more tomorrow. To make my evening even better I shot a decent 7 pointer that will eat very well, and ended a seven year drought from harvesting a buck. I'll try to get pictures posted tomorrow!
Old 11-19-2006, 03:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like a good resolution to a bad situation. Post the pics and let us know what happened to the poacher.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:15 AM
Fork Horn

I don't know about IL but in MN if you already use your buck tag you can still shoot a buck and have 1 ofthe person in your party tag it, as long as the person tagging it was hunting with you, using the same weapon, and has a buck tag. We do have a 1 buck per season rule too.

I hope it's illegal in your state and that guy get cited, fine, andloses his hunt previlages for while. So he'll learn his lesson.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:46 AM

I take it that you were not hunting on your own land.
that is what make it bad . should of called the law
if your buddy was shot at it. that bull crap

Quick Reply: Disappointing morning.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.