Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Rookie mistake

Old 11-07-2006, 09:05 PM

Default Rookie mistake

Went out this morning and man was the action hot. Long story real short had three different bucks come to me. One big 8 point came under my stand. I was set up perfect, had a tree between him and I and thought this is where I draw. Well he made it to the tree, I drew and he saw me. We looked at each other for what seemed like minutes but I know it was only 2 or 3 seconds. He ran, I grunted and he stopped behind the same tree, then ran to catch his does. I felt so stupid, all I had to do was let him pass then draw but I wanted the best shot which would have been right in front. All said it was an awesome morning.

One question though, How good is a deers memory? How long will he remember this event?
Old 11-07-2006, 11:28 PM

Default RE: Rookie mistake

where in md? i did not see much rut activity at my place last weekend.

and if the bucks in rut then his memory is non existent almost...if the hot does come by there again there is a REALLY GOOD chance he will follow them again and not be thinkin of this event.
Old 11-08-2006, 04:35 AM
Typical Buck

1. I try to pick my shooting lane and then draw when the deer's head is behind a tree. That way they do not see you draw your bow.
2. Try to have a slow smooth motion when you draw your bow.
3.You'll find when you have a quartering away shot or when the deer is braodside facing away from you, generally they do not see your movement as much.

Good Luck, nobody ever said it was easy!
Old 11-08-2006, 05:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

One question though, How good is a deers memory? How long will he remember this event
About 8 seconds if he didn't smell you.