Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Rookie mistake - What did I do wrong? >

Rookie mistake - What did I do wrong?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Rookie mistake - What did I do wrong?

Old 01-30-2005, 08:04 PM
Fork Horn

Default Rookie mistake - What did I do wrong?

I was loading some once fired .270s with Sierra 90 HPs. Win brass, neck sized and trimmed back to 2.53" The bullet length is .85 so I did the math to allow for one bullet diameter in the neck, (.85 - .28) + 2.53 = 3.1". Hodgdon manual showed a 3.17 COL so I tried that length. First 8 loads wrinkled the necks right above the shoulder before I noticed it.

Re-grouped and tried 3.2 COL and it worked fine. I'm concerned that I may not have enough bullet in the neck.

Should I be OK with only .18 seated?

What happened to the 3.17 loads? Should I have full length sized? The first loads fired in these cases were 4759 reduced recoil loads with 115 gr sierras so I didn't think that I would need to FLR.

I appreciate any input.
Old 01-30-2005, 09:26 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Rookie mistake - What did I do wrong?

Seating problem. I adjusted the die to touch an empty case. Backed it off one turn. Then adjusted the plug a little at a time until I got to the desired COL of 3.17. No damage. It's obvious (now) that the die was crushing the case. It worked earlier but I was using longer bullets.
Old 01-30-2005, 10:07 PM
bigcountry

What I do is barely seat the bullet or just measure the bullet and case together since load alot of Boattails. AFter I measue that, I set my seater high and go in a little at a time until I am .277" lower than I started with. You really want .277 or .28 bearing surface in the case not just the bullet length IMO. Then measure the length.

You shouldn't have had to FL sized. I am not sure why you would wrinkle the necks. Maybe you can explain further.

Are you screwing in your seater die until it touches the top of a case and then backing out one complete turn? Don't cam over your seater die like a sizer die. You know touching your shell holder. You want to set your die up as I explained and use the seater stem to adjust your seating.

Old 01-30-2005, 10:07 PM
bigcountry

Oops, sorry didn't see yoru second post. Seems like you got it now.

Old 01-30-2005, 10:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Kelbro:

Are you crimping your rounds if you are, it sounds like you are crimping too much. Good luck
Old 02-02-2005, 08:28 AM

Bigcountry's suggestion is good one if you are looking to seat bullets to have a minimum of one bullet diameter in the neck. However, what distance are seating your bullets off the lands? I normally try and start at 0.010" off the lands and see what my COL is. If it's within maximum, I load a few and see if the cartridge will chamber easily (in other words, not jamming the bullet into the lands). If so, I'll shoot this load and check pressure signs, velocity and accuracy. If none of the above are what I want or need, I'll adjust seating depth up or down 0.010" until I find what I'm looking for, as long as I don't exceed COL or have less than one bullet diameter seated in the neck.

In short, just because the COL for my .30-06 is 3.34", doesn't mean that I want all my cartridges (with several different bullets) to measure 3.34". In your case, as long as you have at least 0.28" of your .277 bullets in your case necks, experiment with seating depth and see if it has a profound affect on accuracy. My Savage model 110E .30-06 likes a little freebore with 165-grain Nosler BT's; my Winchester Model 70 .30-06 does not!

Brian
Old 02-02-2005, 06:04 PM
Fork Horn

HAW!

try loading .32-20WCF's if you want to fight wrinkled necks... been loading them past few weeks in anticipation of a new rifle I gots on order..
Old 02-26-2005, 12:54 PM
Dominant Buck

HELLO Kelbro,

I use a REDDING compitition bench seating die.No problems!

KEEP ON ROOTING!!!
Old 02-26-2005, 01:03 PM
bigcountry

REDDING compitition bench seating die
I admit, nice dies. I got two of em but doubt I buy more. Just too expensive for a typical hunter like me. But I have same luck with RCBS. If I get problems I send em back.

I have to admit, you adjust the seating depth by the guauge up top by 5mil on the dial, your going to get 5mil. Very accurate.

Old 02-26-2005, 03:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: the Razorhead

HAW!

try loading .32-20WCF's if you want to fight wrinkled necks... been loading them past few weeks in anticipation of a new rifle I gots on order..

Razor,
not busting on you but a question, how are you loading bullets for a gun you dont have yet? Shouldnt you have the gun there to check for seating depth, functionality in the magazine, and cycling problems? Just wandering?

Quick Reply: Rookie mistake - What did I do wrong?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.