Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 nother rookie mistake... >

nother rookie mistake...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

nother rookie mistake...

Old 09-17-2007, 09:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default nother rookie mistake...

when its already bow season and your bow is already good n tuned and shootin broadheads where you want them to go, DONT TOUCH ANYTHING!

yesterday i got froggy and wanted to simply angle my quiver...seen someone else did it with an Alpine...and noticed all the holes my bracket had so i could as well. hoped it would balance it a little nicer(only 3 arrow quiver but boy do you notice the difference) and make it easier/faster to pull arrows from with them angled towards me, and IMO it makes it look pretty awesome. so i did that and all worked out well. felt better..looked better...mission accomplished right...

well my loop was long to start with...and it got longer..as always. my anchor point moved too far back for my liking...so, i got a red sharpie, marked the bottom of my top knot and was going to tie a new one right where the old one was...just shorter. all went well...got it nice and short and tight. peep lining up perfect...good to go. grabbed a hunting arrow, screwed on a practice head and shot. UHT OH. how could the loop throw things off left and right and cause a major fishtail and noise?!?!? maybe i bumped the rest while hunting??

instead of shooting another arrow to confirm, i moved the rest...same thing over and over...uht oh. this is Sunday..i leave back for school Sunday evening...started panicing and kept adjusting..couldnt get it to fly right. CRAP

then after about 20 shots and minor rest adjustments i look and 1 of my blazers is half tore off from passing through my BH target 100 times...

shot another hunting arrow and got things back to where they were..

dummie me

glad i DID NOT get a shot at the deer i seen Saturday evening...that was the arrow i had nocked[:-]

lessons learned: dont touch anything that doesnt need touched during the season!! and....make sure you practice with all your hunting arrows all through the season! anything can happen! i never noticed that the fletching was tore off the day before when i was shooting..no noise or anything...funny that first shot with it the next day was terrible.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: nother rookie mistake...

lessons learned: dont touch anything that doesnt need touched during the season!! and....make sure you practice with all your hunting arrows all through the season! anything can happen!
TRUER WORDS NEVER SPOKEN and a great tip. Too many people stop practicing once broadheads are sighted in and everything is "right".

I'm glad it's back to normal captn...good luck when you get back out there.

Another tip for those shooting fixed blades and a different POI.

Shoot a broadhead (dull practice blades or whatnot, don't ruin good blades) into your target at a mark, if sighted in for fixed blades with different POI. Now shoot a field point. Now, if you hit your mark with the broadhead and your field point is a different POI, put a dot/circle/square/mark at the POI of your field point. When you aim at your broadhead mark with a field tipped arrow you should hit the mark you set for the field point. This way you can shoot through the season and not ruin good blades. If you hit your field POI you know your broadheads are on.