Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Crazy rut activity >

Crazy rut activity

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Crazy rut activity

Old 11-05-2006, 09:15 PM
Typical Buck

Default Crazy rut activity

Man, the last couple of days have had bucks chasing does so hard on my property that the bucks have been literally chasing us!! Me and a buddy that hunt on the same property were getting out of our stands and walking a creek bottom back to the truckand spotted a buck in an opening about 100 yards from us. We crouched down and I took out the grunt call and the rattle bag and did a little calling and bush whacking and we kept peaking up but he hadvanished. We continued down the path and all of the sudden I caught him runningparallel us. I thought for surewe spooked him but this wasn't so.The trail was sort of lower than the hollow thathe was in so I know he must of heard us but didn't see us. Just as I saw him about 30 yards from us I pushed my buddy to the ground and grunted with just my mouth and he b lined straight at us! I drewmy bow and swung in the direction he was coming from and he got about 5 feet and stopped in his tracks and just stared at us. I couldn't get anything but a neck shot at him so I passed. He was a main frame 8 with some stickers in the 120-130" range. All daySaturday the bucks were seen running the does ragged.Tonight we were hanging a stand and a buck chased a doe 10 feet from us and he just looked at us as he ran by us as to say "yeah like I give a crap your standing there, I'm gettin mine" about a minute went by and I let out a bah with my mouth and again a buck came bustin out of the weeds straight for us but then spooked. At dark we began the 500 or so haul back to the truck when another buck heard us a ran toward us again and we were 50 feet from the truck!My 7 year old son was with us and I had to jump in front of with because I was afraid for his safety.I am almost afraid to walk out there alone. The fielld is aout 6 feet tall with rag weed and they don't see you until they are right on top of you.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Crazy rut activity

I've had that happen. I was walking in one morning with a climber on my back. A buck came running directly at me, grunting all the way. He stopped about ten yards from me and just stared in my eyes. I drew and let fly but hit a tree he was standing behind. He did a flip and came closer! I though I was gonna get roto rootered. He walked in a circle around me and I pulled another arrow from my quiver. Just as I was trying to draw on him again, he turned and walked straight away from me real slow. I tried to follow him and hopefully he would turn and offer a shot. With the stand on my back, I couldn't go fast enough to keep up, and made too much noise, which just made the buck walk faster. He was a nice 8 point. I swear he had rabies. I've never had an animal stare into my eyes like he did. I'm glad you got to experience that, too. I bet you'll think of that every time you walk in the woods during the rut from now on.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:29 AM

Default RE: Crazy rut activity

About 9:30 a.m. yesterday, I put my goldenout in the front yard on his tie out.As soon as I came back in the door, he goes crazy barking. I go right back out and there is a small buck standing on our road. The buckwas there about five minutes pacing and staring at the dog and I think, weighing his options about coming down past the dogand into the woods behind our house. After I brought the dog in and went back out with my camera, the buck finally flipped up his tail, turned around and went across the road into the other side of the woods.