Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Pa pre-rut activity? >

Pa pre-rut activity?

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Pa pre-rut activity?

Old 10-22-2008, 04:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Pa pre-rut activity?

Is anyone in Pa seeing any pre-rut activity in their areas? I haven't seen any real influx of activity in my area (5-D). It should pick up any time now that we have some colder temps. Now, if we can just get rid of the damned north winds.[:@]
Old 10-22-2008, 04:57 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Pre-rut activity?

Nothing here yet that I've seen. I don't expect to start seeing anything until at least the first week in November.

You also beat me to this thread. I usually like to start putting out the feelers for what everyone else is seeing about this time of year.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:14 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Pa pre-rut activity?

Some small scrapes started to appear last weekend over night. I had a singledoe walk under my stand at 9:50am last Saturday. I let her walk figuring that a singledoe might be cominginto estrus and it may bring a buck and I was right about 15 minutes later a small 6 pt'er walk right under me following her scent on the same run. Aswesome to watch! It was there lucky day to say the least. I hunt in 3C Susquhanna Cty.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I found a scrape the other evening on a field edge while I was walking out. Last Saturday, I watched a small Y buck go by me not once or twice, but three times. He definitely looked a little excited.

I think we'll all see a big shift in the next 7-10 days. At least in my neck of the woods, it appears to be starting to "boil" a bit.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

We are on the verge. It's still very spotty. Some bucks(young and old) are well on thier way, others could care less. Buddy shot a huge mature buck yesterday morning, all rutted up swelled neck come in on a drag line. Last night I watched a nice mature buck feed out in a field ignoring my can calls and 2 live does that fed out there as well. Hit & miss.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:55 AM
Typical Buck

Been hunting in 4c and 4d. Only in the past week have I seen any deer at all. Yesterday morning walked 2 circles around hunting area (one small and one largearoundthe outside of the first circle).
Walked 2 hrs. Found only 2 rubs and 2 small scrapes. Saw 2 buck (4 & 5pt) still traveling together last night an hr before dark. Some are claiming to see buck chasing doe but the doe I have seen are by themselves, no buck around. Placed Golden Estrus scent leaves out but nothing has bothered with them yet.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was out this evening and had a pretty neat experience. I had a small 6 push 3 does by me and then out into the field behind me. I could have probably taken him, but chose to let him go. He was grunting the whole way by the stand. Then, about a half hour later, I hear it in the field behind me. I turn around in the tree to see this very same buck and another buck cracking horns! I watched the whole thing for about 10 minutes until dark. They were pushing each other around a bit, but it was mostly sparring off and on.

So yeah, things are starting to boil a bit here.