Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Boy did I mess up..., >

Boy did I mess up...,

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Boy did I mess up...,

Old 10-31-2006, 03:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default Boy did I mess up...,

This morning I got to my stand, got up the tree and since I was sweating bullets (Very hot today)I took 2 minutes to cool down. Then I remembered I forgot to put on my release. As I was pulling myrelease out of my pocket to put on, a buck was walking to me approx 50 yards away. He saw mefidgeting to get it on and snorted and left. I feel like an idiot. I should have gotten all set then cooled down .I don't see many deer so I am ultra pissed at myself. Won't EVER happen again!
Old 10-31-2006, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Boy did I mess up...,

Keep your chin up...we all live and learn. You'll get him next time. I'm out if cliche's...so.....................
Old 10-31-2006, 06:24 PM

heres one for ya ! last night new spot I walk out of this ladys back yard BAM 5 trails all leading to her yard ! so I pick a tree right their almost in her yard ! see she tells me the story about this buck that went on her porch to steel peaches ! then she shows me this OLD glider you know them old metal ones this buck when he bent down to get a peach his rack got caught in the glider HE PULLED IT 30 YARDS BEFORE IT CAME LOOSE ! i seen the glider it's all bent up i ask her how big was the rack ? being a old sweet lady she put both hands about a foot & a half from each side of her head ! i said wow thinking ya sure.
well i made the mistake of leaving the scent pads on my boots up in the stand seen 13 doe 2 button bucks none of them seen or winded me UNTIL a old doe walked up her head went up she stomped whisled we was in a stair down for 12 minutes my brother timmed it ! I was busted but they all stayed their they did'nt beleive her maybe ? any how i heard more deer about 40 yards away i seen rack she whisled again he turned away from us gone.
I have never seen so many deer in one place ! we got out of our stands MORE deer was moving in ! four different deer was snorting & whisling at us to leave the woods ! ya i messed up also but man it was the most fun i ever had hunting !!!
Old 10-31-2006, 07:12 PM
Fork Horn

Don't feel so bad... I shot a 6 pointer today, not 5 minutes into the woods but hit him high... no blood trail, nothing. Needless to say, I searched all day but went home empty handed.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Doefever

This morning I got to my stand, got up the tree and since I was sweating bullets (Very hot today)I took 2 minutes to cool down. Then I remembered I forgot to put on my release. As I was pulling myrelease out of my pocket to put on, a buck was walking to me approx 50 yards away. He saw mefidgeting to get it on and snorted and left. I feel like an idiot. I should have gotten all set then cooled down .I don't see many deer so I am ultra pissed at myself. Won't EVER happen again!
you will remember that buck and hunt more than if you got deer..

trust me, its more fun missing the buck than killing it but i killed so many over years that i enjoy going home now without buck..this is why i only hunt bucks and nice ones,to easy to get doe..

i have to have it hard and only a big buck..i use hawkins .50cal flintlock for all my deer hunting now..i am having fun of my life with that gun..
Old 11-03-2006, 10:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't get disappointed, thats hunting. We all make mistakes. We learn from them and it makes us all better hunters. I wish you the best of luck in you're future hunts!
Old 11-04-2006, 04:20 PM

I am in the same boat.. I tagged a HUGE 10 pt (would probably score high 150's, maybe 160) last night, not once, but twice.. Blood shut off after 100yds, and nothing today.. Will be up bright and early looking in the a.m.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:16 AM

ORIGINAL: wcpa

I am in the same boat.. I tagged a HUGE 10 pt (would probably score high 150's, maybe 160) last night, not once, but twice.. Blood shut off after 100yds, and nothing today.. Will be up bright and early looking in the a.m.
man I hope you find that deer