Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA Deer Hunters

Old 08-01-2006, 12:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: PA Deer Hunters

I'll try to take 5 does between 2D and 2B. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. Pretty much always take at least 3.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:33 PM
Typical Buck

Thank you all. It seems that all that have respond have a clue as to what I am talking about then. I understand that the city areas are loaded with deer so I have to applaud you all that hunt those areas. Myself get tired of talking to this kind of individual "There are no deer left in this state!" So I asked them if they got any last year. There response, " Yeah, I took my two, my brother took three, and my buddy took three."
Old 08-01-2006, 05:36 PM

I remember back in ye olden days when you got your choice of a buck or a doe and the seasons were only two weeks for buck and three days for does i feel that we should go back to that for a couple of seasons just my .02cents
Old 08-01-2006, 05:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

If I am lucky a buck and a doe. No more than that at this point despite having one or two more doe tags.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:17 PM
Typical Buck

Snipehunter your exactly right. I think that if went back to a system as that, the deer population would return to what hunters and outdoor lovers would all be pleased. Rotate the systems, but keep the antler restrictions.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:48 PM
Fork Horn

For the first time in 20+ years, I am not getting a doe tag. I hunt up in Warren County and the deer population is ridiculously low. I do believe the are over hunted. Too many people filling out bonus tags up here and taking 3-4 deer. Also for the first time since I have started hunting I am not gonna rifle hunt. Just gonna bow hunt and go for the big one that has escaped me all my hunting years. I think we should go back to the 2 week buck and 3 day doe. At least for a couple of years...........
Old 08-02-2006, 04:27 AM

ORIGINAL: aldo88

For the first time in 20+ years, I am not getting a doe tag. I hunt up in Warren County and the deer population is ridiculously low. I do believe the are over hunted. Too many people filling out bonus tags up here and taking 3-4 deer. Also for the first time since I have started hunting I am not gonna rifle hunt. Just gonna bow hunt and go for the big one that has escaped me all my hunting years. I think we should go back to the 2 week buck and 3 day doe. At least for a couple of years...........
Aldo, if there aren't any deer there, how are these other guys taking three or four deer a year? Where do they come from?
Old 08-02-2006, 07:37 AM
Fork Horn

You tell me. I have hunted the same area all my hunting years. I have gone up and down the hill, there just arent the signs like there used to be. Most of those guys are also taking doe. I used to see up to 30 deer the first day of buck. I am lucky now if I see 5. It used to sound like fireworks going off on the first day-not anymore. The deer population up here is getting down. You know as well as I do that alot of guys also take deer illegally. Where I said they are taking 3-4 deer you know that some of those dont have tags for all of them. No I dont know who they are but everybody hears stuff. I am usually the first guy out there for archery season (which means they arent spooked yet) and I am "lucky" to see 5 deer all day. Maybe it is the area I hunt in but you talk to alot of guys up here and compared to 20 years ago it just isnt the same. I know nothing is the same after 20 years but for our wildlife to go down is a major problem. Something needs to be done but nobody will listen. Hopefully they will before it is too late.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Is five deersightings per day a bad day hunting?Pa hunters have been spoiled for way too long because the hunting was easy.You say you've hunted the same hill all your hunting years.There in lies the problem.Food conditions,cover, and pressure all change things.During a 20 year period,you can't expectthe habitat or the hunting conditionsto stay thesame.If you were used to seeing 30 deer per day in one spot,your area most likely had way too many deer for too long and that's most likely the reason they aren't there any more.How would you like the PGC to micromanage you're little piece of ground to satisfy you while at the same time,managing the rest of the state?

I rarely if ever see more than 5 deer a day from my stands in archery season.What would be an exceptable amount to you?

Hunting is exactly that.You need to scout for the best places to hunt because nature doesn't stay static.Try it this year.It will be much more rewarding.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:49 AM
Fork Horn

When I said I see 5 that was for the first day of rifle. I never said I saw 5 deer per day. If I did I wouldnt complain at all. Vegetation is good. There isnt alot of pressure and cover is excellent for them. I do hunt and scout. I dont hunt the same spot. There are days I dont see any deer at all. Lucky if I see one off in the distance. Those 30 deer I saw were on the first day of deer. You guys arent reading what I am putting down. And it is an endless arguement. The original poster asked how many deer do we take per season, not how many we see. I guess I should have said , I shoot my one deer and Im done. Sure I could shoot more. But I choose not too and then you guys come in and "attack" (maybe not a good word) me on my hunting skills. I just said I wasnt gonna rifle hunt anymore and that we should go back to the 2 week buck and 3 day doe. I know we cant make special rules for every hunting spot but maybe county by county? It has been said that there are alot of deer in Allegheny County but alot of hunters in this area say there isnt as many. Should we make special regulations for each county? I dont know if that would work. I dont have an answer. I only suggested that we go back to the old hunting days.

Quick Reply: PA Deer Hunters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.