Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 PA Deer Management is Almost OK >

PA Deer Management is Almost OK

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA Deer Management is Almost OK

Old 06-28-2006, 12:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: PA Deer Management is Almost OK

I believe you Doug/Just for the heck of it come down to Chester county and hunt on the SGL there. And then summerize your day.It will be something like this/ I arrived early.Went to my spot. By the time it got light I had 12 people walk by me.A couple set up withinh 25 yards of me.i had to wave my flashlight at them. Then At shooting time 6 more clumsey people walked by and wanted to talk. At 8:00 a shot goes off,then 4 more .6 more shots . Deer heading your way. Here comes the deer running full steam with hunter running after bangbang. Holly crap I better get behind the tree. bullits flying everywhere. 10 minutes later a guy goes by ask if you seen that deer. He says I blasted it 3 times in the rear ,but cant find it.By 10 am 6 more people walked by. Noon more walk by.At the end of the day out in the parking lot your parked in.Around 30 vehicles in lot. Guys standing around all talking about the slop shot they made on that one runiing deer and how the bark was flying around them.. And one lucky guy got it.Looked like it went thru a shredder ,but it is dead.
Old 06-28-2006, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Idon't doubt what you say is true but that isn't the case in most of Pa.I imagine all the public land around the urban areas are loaded with people.That's not the case at all around here.The vast majority of people that I know hunt private land of one sort or another.Not all of it is posted or has restricted access but it is private.I grew up in Wyoming county and it's all private except one small chunk of SGL 57.The truth is,the vast majority of Pa is private land and most of it gets heavily hunted.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:04 PM
Typical Buck

Doug-i believeya but im just shocked that you dont have manyhunters on puplic land. i wishsome people that huntin my area wouldcome your way. around my area public land gets hit hard. guys come out in big numbers. now the 2nd week on a weekday its pretty dead but 1st week and weekends look out.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:36 AM

Minus the first day and the two saturdays the woods are empty. Plenty of room on public land. Heck, after lunch of the first day things are getting thin. Area I hunt for rifle you can drive down the forest road and find pockets of cars but you can also find areas with none....on the first day!
Old 06-29-2006, 06:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Pagobbler,it gets hunted but all the guys head for the areas where they can see the farthest through the woods.I avoid those areas.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:26 AM

Cardeer, That was my day hunting Lancaster SGL first Saturday last year, get em in Archery I guess!!

Same morning a giant 4 point came by from behind, I thought for sure I was dead, thank god the desperate people waited until he was past me to shoot at em.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Stay away from SGL's in populated areas.As far as I'm concerned they can sell them.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:08 PM
jf5

ORIGINAL: germain

Stay away from SGL's in populated areas.As far as I'm concerned they can sell them.
Why sell them?? Everyone needs to hunt, and the more landavailable the better. Besides, if those SGL's are sold, they will just move to another one, maybe in your areas.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:08 PM

Jf, truthfully the hikers and horseback riders run them now, whether its hunting season or not, legal or not, at least down in the populated areas.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I actually live in a populated JF.I can't speak for your area but here it's hard to hunt on the SGL's because of all the trails with hikers and bike riders.Just too many people.Other then stocked pheasants there's very little game.I think it's a waste of hunter's dollars.

Quick Reply: PA Deer Management is Almost OK

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.