Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 NWTF JAKES Event >

NWTF JAKES Event

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NWTF JAKES Event

Old 03-16-2006, 08:55 AM

Default NWTF JAKES Event

Monocacy Valley Chapter of the Wild Turkey Federation is once again holding their JAKES event on April 1 at the Woodmont Rod & Gun Club in Handcock, Maryland. Registration is 8am - 9am and the program runs till about 1PM.

This event is FREE for kids ages 6 to 16. Participants will learn about the wild turkeys natural habitat, learn how to set up and pratice the use of calls. They also will learn firearm safety and shotgun patterning including live fire if they wish. To insure safety during the live fire event we provide everything including one-on-one training. DNR should once again be there to demostrate the use of their cannon capture net. Lunch will be provided and 4 lucky kids who have completed the hunter safety course will each win a guided hunt on the Woodmont grounds during youth day.

While I'm not a member of NWTF I have been volunteering as one of the firearms instructors for several years and can say we average about 80 kids.

To register call 301-845-1366. I'm sure walk-ins are welcome but by registering they can have a better head count for lunch.

Directions: Interstate 68 west of Hancock,Md. Take exit 77 to U.S. 40East. Almost immediately turn right onto Woodmont Rd. Follow signs to lodge.

Old 03-16-2006, 09:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: NWTF JAKES Event

Thanks Wirehair,

I too participate in the JAKES program as a turkey call instructor and teach kids about the calls of the wild turkey and the use of the calls including hands on use. I probably get more out of it than the kids do. I particular like the younger age groups who want to learn rather than some of the "know it all" teenagers, I know how they can be, I was one once.

To everyone, if you have kids that are close to this area, get them out there. These JAKES programs are fantastic and I earge all of you to become members of the NWTF including you Wirehair and get involved with JAKES, it's a very memoriable day.

Thanks again.
Old 03-17-2006, 06:45 AM
Typical Buck

I've taken my kids to this event for several years and let me tell you, it's top notch. I would highly reccomend anyone with kids in the area to check it out. I'd also like to thank Wirehair and the rest of the volunteers who make this event so special for the kids. Thanks again!

Slice
Old 03-17-2006, 09:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

If anyone ever needs volunteers for this event. If I am free I would be happy to help.
Old 03-26-2006, 08:20 AM

I'm back. I don't know why but i have trouble getting messages to type, but anyway, hope to see some of you there.

Rob,
I know what you mean about the "know it all teens", during each event I usually get one who'll get rocked because he didn't think balance is really an issue or will hit the trigger before their ready, but hey, that's what these events are for. Its a controlled environment so they can safely learn. The reason I'm not a member of NWTF is simply a matter of budget. Since I just can't be a member of everything I'm happy to volunteer my time and knowledge to the next generation.

Slice, Glad to hear you guys like it and thanks for the kind words. Will I get to see your kids for archery? We start on April 4th, 6:30 to 8:30 and will be the first and third Tuesdays of each month till Nov. We have everything they'll need and its still free. Look me up for more info, just ask for Parrish

Kids are the future of our sport, if we don't teach them who will?

George