Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 NWTF JAKES Event >

NWTF JAKES Event

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NWTF JAKES Event

Old 02-21-2005, 12:41 PM

Default NWTF JAKES Event

It's that time of year again.

Monocacy Valley Chapter of the National Wild Turkey Federation will once again be hosting the Jakes event for kids. The event date is April 9, 2005 and will be held at the Woodmont Hunting Lodge, West of Hancock, Maryland. Registration is at 8 AM Best of all it FREE.

Registration is at 8am, the program starts about 9 till noonish, then lunch and door prizes for the kids. A drawing is also held for 4 guided hunts on Woodmonts' hunting grounds. The youth must have a hunter safety card for the hunt.

To allow more hands-on learning we divide the youngsters into groups and the program consists of learning different types of calls and how to use them. Nature walk to learn what signs to look for and how to set up on the birds. Basic Firearm Safety and Shotgun patterning. There is no rigid classroom study so if your child gets tired or bored and wants to go see something else thats fine too. Lots of give aways, I don't think any child leaves empty handed.

We supply all firearms to be used, eye and hearing protection as well. To ensure safety we generally have 10 firearms instructors on the fireline for 1 on 1 instruction. The youngster is not required to participate in the live fire and we have allowed moms to give it a try if they wish.

DNR should be there again this year shooting off the capture net for a demo.

This event is held rain or shine so dress for the weather. It can be pretty cool in the morning so I would suggest a jacket or sweatshirt. Be sure to attend and you to can enjoy the ride home listening to the sounds of turkey calls coming from the back seat.

I' m not a member of the NWTF but have helped out for several years now and I have not heard of any changes to the program. I' m an instructor with the Outdoor Sports Program Inc.. We handle the firearms portion of the program for them.

The link is to my group. We offer a host of events for kids. All Free.

http://www.outdoorsportsprogram.org/
Old 02-21-2005, 02:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: NWTF JAKES Event

Wirehair,
Thanks for helping the youth getting involved with the outdoors. Its people like you that will help the future of hunting!
Old 02-22-2005, 10:13 AM
Typical Buck

I've taken my son and daughter to this event 2 years now, and my daughter is already asking about going this year. For anyone who has never been to it, they put on a top notch event. A good time is always had by all (kids and parents). I highly recommend it.

Thanks to the Monocacy Chapter for putting it on each year!!

Slice
Old 02-22-2005, 04:15 PM

Wirehair,

Thanks a bunch for the info; and for the time that you and organization put into assisting with this program (and the other ones shown on your website.) You do society a great service. Hats off to the Monocacy NWTF chapter too. Think that my son and I will be making the drive west for this one.

Bob
Old 02-28-2005, 07:57 AM

Thanks for the kind words, it really is fun working with the kids. When I started out my goals were to not only introduce other kids to the sports but to get away from my business and spend more time with my own son. As a bragging dad, one of the pixs in the photo gallery is my son with his first "robin hood". I bet him cable TV in his room if he could do it, took him 3yrs.

It's rewarding when a child comes to our sports program never having shot a gun or bow and watch their skills develope and have mom question what bow/firearm would be best for birthday or xmas.

If anyone goes to the JAKES look me up and say hi and SLICE I want to see your 2 at archery this year. Your only about 1/2 hour away.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:17 AM

Just wanted to reminder ya its this weekend. Looks like good weather.