Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 NWTF Jakes Event >

NWTF Jakes Event

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NWTF Jakes Event

Old 03-22-2003, 06:19 PM

Default NWTF Jakes Event

Monocacy Valley Chapter of the National Wild Turkey Federation will once again be hosting the Jakes event for kids. The event date is April 5, 2003 and will be held at the Woodmont Hunting Lodge, West of Hancock, Maryland. Registration is at 8 AM

Best of all it FREE.
Old 03-23-2003, 05:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: NWTF Jakes Event

Wire,My son and I attend our local Jake' s events,I enjoy it as much as he does.I would recomend anybody interested in turkey huntin attend one.Even if you don' t have a youngster check it out.
Old 03-25-2003, 06:10 AM
Typical Buck

I have a few questions. My son is 5 and this is going to be the first year I take him along with me. Is 5 too young for a JAKES event? Also, does he need to be a JAKES member to attend? I' m a member, but he isn' t yet? Does he need to bring anything with him? What does the event consist of?
Old 03-25-2003, 12:21 PM

Jalvja, I got involved with it a couple of years ago and your right it is a lot of fun.

Slicendice,
Your son will have a blast and no you do not need to be a NWTF member to attend. All youngsters that show up and register will receive a one year JAKES membership free.

Registration is at 8am, the program starts about 9 till noonish, then lunch and door prizes for the kids. A drawing is also held for 4 guided hunts on Woodmonts' hunting grounds. The youth must have a hunter safety card for the hunt.

To allow more hands-on learning we divide the mass of youngster into groups and the program consists of learning different types of calls and how to use them. Nature walk to learn what signs to look for and how to set up on the birds.
Basic Firearm Safety and Shotgun patterning. We supply all firearms to be used, eye and hearing protection as well. The youngster is not required to participate in the live fire and we have allowed moms to give it a try if they wish.

DNR should be there again this year with the capture net for a demo.

This event is held rain or shine so dress for the weather. It can be pretty cool in the morning so I would suggest a jacket or sweatshirt.

I' m not a member of the NWTF but have helped out for the past three years and I have not heard of any changes to the program. I' m an instructor with the Outdoor Sports Program Inc.. We handle the firearms portion of the program for them.

Old 03-25-2003, 12:42 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the info, wirehair!!!
Old 04-07-2003, 08:50 AM
Typical Buck

On behalf of myself, my two kids and the 88 kids who were in attandence on Saturday, I' d like to say thank you! Despite some soggy weather in the morning, the JAKES event went off beautifly. It was great to see such a great turn-out and great to see such a well-organized event. Thank you very much to all of the volunteers who helped out, and to the businesses and organizations who donated time/money/items. I believe with events such as this, the future of hunting is very bright.