Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Spear chuckers in PA >

Spear chuckers in PA

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Spear chuckers in PA

Old 01-31-2006, 10:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Spear chuckers in PA

I shot one before and it's tough!Also watched a video of some fellows hunting feral hogs with them.Those hogs were literally knocked off their feet when that big dart smacked them.Like someone said-if it does pass(and most likely it'll get shot down at the final vote),there'll be a very small group using them.I don't think there'd be a mad rush to buy atlatl's.
Old 02-02-2006, 04:53 PM
Fork Horn

I think the technique back when the indians hunted they likely worked in a group and pushed the animals through a zone to throw. I guess this is something that you could still do looking at the rules for spear.

I saw a demo at a hunting show and it looked lethal to me and if you are good at it you can throw without alot of lateral movement.
Old 02-04-2006, 12:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like a good weapon for Jimmy Houston.
Old 02-04-2006, 06:34 AM

As has been said, our ancestors used this weapon in a very different way. Group drives that funneled game into a natural or man made enclosure where others were waiting to finish off the trapped animals from close range with multiple hits. Though I don't doubt that there were folks that excelled in the range and accuracy of this weapon. I'm sure that there were the equivalents of Micheal Jordan in those days as well.

Sample conversation from around the cook fire:
Ogg: "Did you see Berg at the hunting competition yesterday?"
Bog: "He was on fire. He hit the hide targets 18 out of 20 times, but Old Bleg was better, and he did it without the new fangled yew spears, all he had was willow. I need to get a few for myself."
Ogg: "no way! did you see what Kruk the spear maker is asking for the new yew spears with Berg's totem mark on them? I hunt too hard for my ermine skins to trade 4 for a lousy spear."