Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Hogs with a Spear?

Old 12-04-2006, 09:32 PM

Default Hogs with a Spear?

Any of you guys ever hog hunted with a spear or know anyone that has? I'm thinking of giving it a go. I've killed hogs over 200lbs with rifle, bow, pistol, and a knife when hunting with dogs. I'd like to give it a try with s spear. Any info or tips would be great. Thanks guys.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Hogs with a Spear?

Are you talking about stalking up close and throwing it at them? Not for me. I'd be too worried that my throw would be off target and I'd end up with a wounded hog. I'll stick with using my rifle and going for clean kills...
Old 12-05-2006, 12:00 PM

when hunting with dogs. be very careful no matter what type of weapon. we prefer knives but spears can be used. had some guys from alaska come hunt with us that used spears, took two nice boars.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yep done that when I was living with the blacks in the Northern Territory back home.

Man do those guys know how to throw a spear with deadly accuracy as for me got nowhere close to the hog but did have a lot of fun trying
Old 12-05-2006, 01:50 PM

i've had guys kill them with spears while hunting with me
Old 12-05-2006, 04:50 PM
Fork Horn

Great adrenaline rush you're looking into there Talk about a testosterone pumping means of putting tasty pork in your freezer. If you really want to get back to the earliest form of hunting there is, spear or knife hunting hogs with a good pack of dogs is about as close as you can get. Boar Hunter Magazine is a good source for outfitters and equipment pertaining to your interest. Cold Steel actually makes a spear designed just for boar. The sport is becoming right popular here in the South and with the uncontrollable spread of wild hogs nationwide, hopefully dog hunters in the rest of the country will pick up on it. Give it a try and either you will be hooked or you will have an uncontrollable flinchfor the rest of your life whenever you hear a pig squeal. In either case, you will have people shake their heads and tell you there is no way on earth that they would ever have enough intestinal fortitude to try it and that you are the MAN!
Old 12-05-2006, 06:17 PM
bigcountry

I have been with my brother when he did it with a knife. Its not for me. The dogs were basically tearing the hog apart. From now on, my hunting is a little different.

Old 12-05-2006, 06:46 PM

ORIGINAL: Harm196

Any of you guys ever hog hunted with a spear or know anyone that has? I'm thinking of giving it a go. I've killed hogs over 200lbs with rifle, bow, pistol, and a knife when hunting with dogs. I'd like to give it a try with s spear. Any info or tips would be great. Thanks guys.
Hogs are a real problem for us here. We trap around 200-300 per month in the WINTER MONTHS...about half that in summer. We "harvest" about 30-40 per month with hunters.

IMHO...what you are wanting to do is very dangerous to say the least. (with or without dogs) But if it works for you...please post the story and some pictures. And good luck to you if yougo after one with a spear.

Look at the chompers on these guys. Wanna take a chance getting close enough for a spear??

best of luck

Old 12-06-2006, 08:33 AM

thats the kind of piggys we like. good picture
Old 12-11-2006, 04:31 PM

Yes, a friend of mine Mike Mueller does it with just a spear....no dogs. I carry his DVD on my website and he has over 20 kills on the video which includes a 400lb Russian that he sticks at about 4 feet from behind a tree. All I can say is, you have to watch it to believe it. His DVD led to us carrying the spear he uses. It has sparked an enourmas amount of interest lately. They die faster than anything I have seen. It's like throwing a foot long broadhead into them.