Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Moutain Lion in Western NY? >

Moutain Lion in Western NY?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Moutain Lion in Western NY?

Old 12-01-2005, 11:51 AM

Default RE: Moutain Lion in Western NY?

NY an Pa DEC/DNR have only recently(past 6 monthes or so) changed their tones towards these reported cougar sightings in our area.

They have gotten enough from credible people where they are actually starting to investigate the possibility of cougars in our area a bit more.

If you happen to see a cougar in NY or PA I urge you to stay aware, mark the locations, take time to look, watch, listen and then physically try to find any tracks. If you feel daring ..... follow it. Use caution.

Cast the tracks or picture them with something in photo for size.

The states are now asking for reports

For NY

http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/reg8/wild/cougar.html

Click the link part way down and file it.

Not totally sure in Pa but here is a start contact for you in Pa at the bottom of the article.

http://www.tiogapublishing.com/articles/2005/07/28/outdoors/outdoors02.txt
Old 12-01-2005, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't make me laugh NY Outdoors. Just look at the source you used. Easterncourgarnet for heavens sake. Do you really think they are unbiased? Get real. Like I said, until there are REPUTABLE sources verifying the existence of cougars here no thinking person is going to buy it. Why doesn't the DEC or SUNY or the PGC or the FWC or ANY reputable source back you up? Please call any one of these and ask them if there are wild cougars in NY or PA. If they don't laugh at you I'm sure you will get a polite answer telling you that there simply is NO EVIDENCE for them. Didn't you read what NY Bowhunter posted from the DEC? Why do they say that there isn't any evidence? Oh yea I keep forgetting the conspiracy...
Old 12-01-2005, 01:55 PM

Sylvan, I spoke to those people from the silly cougar project awhile back. A very "interesting" chat indeed. To talk to them, you might think you overheard Elvis talking to Bigfoot in the background. NOTHING is true, its all phoney. Youd think they thought XFiles was a real show. They were nice, no doubt, but bordering on...well, you get what Im saying.

You know, back when I didnt know anyone, or have doors opened to me, it was so nice to be naive and to assume things. Nowadays, I read all the silly hunting rags and papers from NY state, etc, anyone with a laptop and an extra half hour at lunch (expert) and its such BS. People will print anything they can get their hands on, no substantiating, no nothing. It was the same with the CWD issue over the summer. I have lost all respect and interest in most of the printed crap because of it, too. Example, will finding a paw print from a lion, or a "reliable" sighting make that lion wild, native, and prospering? It will still be questionable, as we have already beat to death the escaped captive issue already.

Sylvan, Im with you. I wish they WERE here, naturally and wild, but I doubt it.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bill Yox, sadly not everyone is like you and bothers to question or take the time to check what they read or hear. They're quick to believe something espcecially if they WANT to believe it. I'm like you in that I would love for there to be wild mountain lions here. I'm also like you in that if I'm honest with myself I just can't buy it.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:18 PM

This is one of my favorite posts to check on. About two months ago a friend of mine told me, that someone told him, that someone he knows (seems like it is always third party) got a camtrakker picture of a mountain lion. This guy said that he saw the picture and it was a mountain lion for sure. I askedmy friendto find out who has the picture because I have to see it. Two months go by and I ask my friend about the picture and Of course it turns out it was a picture of a bobcat.Doesn't that figure.

my site: WWW.PBASE.COM/MLO3135127 and WWW.WILDTURKEY.SMUGMUG.COM
Old 12-01-2005, 05:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

The Cougar Network??

Good God dude!!!!! I knew there were people that were slightly delusional with the mountain lion sighting in NY, but WOW this takes the cake. Good luck in your quest. Be sure to post pics when you get one on your trail cam.
Can you answer me something please? Do you find it the least bit odd that there are hundreds of thousands of hunters in the woods. Who knows how many trail cameras. Thousands of people fishing rivers and streams. Not ONE single picture or video of a mountain lion in NY. Does that ever cross your mind as being a bit odd if there were mountain lions in NY??

Charlie P......
I can't thank you enough for that link. I'll feel so much safer walking into the woods tommorow. Now I know what to do in case of an attack. Of course shooting it would be the first thing to come to my mind. I'd better not take a shot at one though, Elvis may be in the background and I'd hate to kill him too.
What to do in case of an encounter
[ol][*]Do not approach a mountain lion.[*]Leave the animal an avenue of escape.[*]Stay calm, move slowly.[*]Back away safely if you can. Do not turn your back to the lion or start running.[*]Raise your arms or backpack to appear larger.[*]Lift up your children to prevent them from running.[*]If you are being attacked fight back. Mountain lion have been successfully driven off with bare hands. Use rocks, or whatever you can get your hands on. Try to remain on your feet or get back up if knocked down[/ol]

Old 12-02-2005, 01:13 AM

I as a Pa. resident have heard many stories about lion sightings also. I never seen any or heard stories from close friends who have encountered any. One of my best friend is to my beliefs is one of the best trappers in Pa. We talked about it once and he spends more time in the outdoors than anyone I know.He has never came across any tracks at all of lions.Believe me he is always looking for signs of critters to trap. I am not saying they are nothere or they are here I am just opened minded to the subject.
But I would have to say if there was any here or in NY the trappers would know of this. I for one if was a trapper and seen signs of one.I would try to catch it in a trap to prove it. I believe this would be the only way to confirm it.I don't think one would get in trouble if accidently caught one in a foot trap. But I don't see it happening in the near future. LOL I usually say that and it does happen though. LOL
Old 12-02-2005, 06:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

Wasn't the guy from the cougar network afraid to let his kids play outside and ride his horses?

NYbowhunter no problem, I'll be in the middle of about 21,000 acres on Saturday,but luckily I still have my communicator so I can call for another "scotty beam me up" if I see a Cougar.

7.If you are being attacked fight back. Mountain lion have been successfully driven off with bare hands. Use rocks, or whatever you can get your hands on. Try to remain on your feet or get back up if knocked down
You me politely asking the lion to stop isn't an option?