Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Moutain Lion in Western NY? >

Moutain Lion in Western NY?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Moutain Lion in Western NY?

Old 11-30-2005, 10:41 AM

Default RE: Moutain Lion in Western NY?

Blueturk, you and me and Phade hear this same silliness every year, dont we, locally? If folks would just stop once and think through the logistics of these rumors, theyd travel no further. I like how you said "they heard it from someone who heard it from someone"etc etc. Isnt that always how it is? LOL, how true. Oh well, its all interesting, anyways.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:22 PM
Typical Buck

Yes, Bill is seems like one of those revolving doors here!

In Nebraska, there had been reports of lions being spotted in a particular area, and it was not known if they were true sightings. A short time later, one was hit by a car, and confirmed by their game staff.

You'd think since we had the hundreds, maybe thousands of sightings every year, one would actually surface itself like it did in Nebraska.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

and by the way to all you CLOSED MIND PEOPLE , a member in a hunting group fired 2 shots thanksgiving morning in stueben co. , at a MOUNTANLION , wanted it dead to show NYSDEC!!! no hits.
Ohhhhh well that changes everything!! My mind is now open. How terrifying of an experienc that must have been. That is some concrete proof right there dude.

I was wondering when Bigfoot was going to be tossed into the conversation. Hell, I almost put it in there.
HEY HEY HEY !!! let's keep things in perspective. bigfoot and mountain lions are 2 different issues. mountain lion sightings are far fetched, but I can attest to numerous bigfoot sightings and successful hunts I might add. Let's compare apples to apples here.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:22 PM

For the people who don't believe that lions could or do or roam in the east are very ignorant. They have done so in the past till hunted to extinction. Why is it impossible for them to do so today? OH,cause you say so,OK. Or are you that ignorant of a wild animals survival skills to excist anywhere it wants to?

Just because you haven't seen any or signs of them or stories from your friends make you correct on them not being around. Lions are very elusive animals,even out west. Without dogs to hunt them very few would be harvested or even observed in the wild. There is estimated 41,000 lions in the western states.How elusive they are. And if there was even 5 to 10 in the eastern states,only by chance do people see them.

Very ignorant and disrespectful to animals,Are the people who underestimate the survival and migration of a wild animals.Especially for predators like yotes and lions.

It's the same as yotes in eastern state.If they can migrate down from Canada and make theire home here in NY and Pa. Why can't a lion from the west with an estimated population of 41,000 migrate here and take up resident here also? I forgot because some people say they can't. How ignorant you are.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

And if there was even 5 to 10 in the eastern states,only by chance do people see them
And these 5 to 10 account for the hundreds of 2nd and 3rd hand sightings, rumors, and shot attempts thet never connect. And in spite of these hundreds of reports, there are no photos, tracks, remains or even partial remains.

As far as migration: I believe animals like coyotes EXPANDED their range. Lions would probably do the same. I find it hard to believe 5 to 10 would decide to "migrate" 2000 miles from the west and just pass thru all the states in between just to end up in NY.

You are pretty new here - do a search on this topic. You may find reasons for the doubt you see on this thread - this is not the 1st time it has been around. Then try joining the discussion without the feeble attempts at insulting.

Just my ignorant opinion.

Old 11-30-2005, 08:48 PM

I have no doubts about them being here or in other states from east to west. What would yousay telling them they are lieing. Insulting also. Do a search on each state and I promise you everyone has lion sightings.

But yes you are ignorant for not believeing they could exsist here in the wild. You seen that video. That was a lion. Released or migrated it is still a lion. That is some proof that they do roam here in the east. What about officials in NY believe they are here also. Well bad source.BUSH had WMD in Iraq.

Like I said,It's disrespect to the ability of a wild animal to survive here. When you disrespect a animal especially a lion that has skills to be elusive and survive is ignorant. And for the carcass and tracks. I didn't say there was 41,000 in the eastern state. I said there could be 5 to 10 of them in the eastern states. Put a needle in a haystack and see if you can find it.

Old 11-30-2005, 09:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do a search on each state and I promise you everyone has lion sightings.
Do any of these sightings show any verifiable evidence - or just the same general claims as here?

I have never said anyone was lying. Just questioned why with hundreds of reports, nobody has shown us even one piece of verifiable evidence to support their claims. If doubting a highly questionable claim is insulting, then someone has pretty thin skin.

Post some real proof - this is your chance to demonstrate who is ignorant. A wise person calling everyone who disagrees with him ignorant must have something to back his claim? Show us your wisdom.

And I am not sure what Iraq has to do with alleged lion sightings in NY - must be my ignorance.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:16 PM

I could have a 1000 pictures of lions and hrs of video with a vets statement saying thisdeerwaskilled by a large cat. You or anyone else who don't believe they roam the eastern states will still deny it until an official has seen the cat for themselves and verified it.There was one killed by a hunter in 1969 in Pa. and the GPC reported it as a released pet. I am not goanna even try to convence anyone who doesn't believe that they are here. But people who understand nature and how things occur over time know it is very much possible that they do excist here.

About Iraq. Why would you take the words of officials for sightings and beliefs and find out there never was such a thing. WMD
Old 12-01-2005, 01:13 AM

I have heard all of this and talked to some DEC guys who were in checking tags and ages at my brothers deer cutting operation. They kind of laughed at the young men who were blabbing to them about mountain lions. It's easy to tell if you see the tracks in the mud. A mountain lions tracks are bigger than a bobcats tracks, lets just say they are3-1/3 inches across or greater. A bobcats tracks will be between 2 to 2-1/2 inches across, if you see the tracks just pull out some string or whatever you have on youand lay it across the track and mark it and then go get a rule andmeasure it. I know there are bobcats here but I am very skeptical of there being any mountain lions around here. I won't say that it is impossible because we had a good sized alligator in the river here this year that someone had for a pet and let it go or it escaped. Maybe someone had a mountain lion for a pet and let it go or it escaped who knows. But that would be the only way in my opinion that one wouldbe here now.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:41 AM

I live in Deleware and to all who don't believe they are here in the east.

http://www.easterncougarnet.org/delaware_cougar_confirmations.htm

What other proof do you want other than to see them with your 2 eyes?
It is confirmed that they are here roaming the eastern states.

Quick Reply: Moutain Lion in Western NY?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.