Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Moutain Lion in Western NY? >

Moutain Lion in Western NY?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Moutain Lion in Western NY?

Old 11-23-2005, 09:48 PM

Default RE: Moutain Lion in Western NY?

Well, thats what Ive been saying right along! Ive been told Im wrong in other posts, but lets just say I know what I know. Remember, I too hold some breeder permits in NY state too. Either way, I think having big cats out there would be cool, I wish the country here were a bit bigger for them.
Old 11-24-2005, 11:44 AM

i live in allegany Co. NY , late Aug. 6:30ish pm, woodchuck huntin with 14yr. old. it's hot out he'd played all day , sweaty ,smelly,he want's to sit alone by a round bale, about 150yds away.
can't sit still , 15 min. walkin back to me by my van as i watch his hunt.
he gets 10yds. from van ,then!!!!!!!!!!, i spot something moving on a ditch line(uncut hay on ditch , cut hay on both sides of ditch ) that runs into a thick woodlot. put the binocs on the area , think i see poss. bobcat,seen them before no big deal, then cousins 2 dogs show up checkin wooddy hole , then movement in the ditch comes closer to the cut hay field,still can't confirm what's there, suddenly a adult WOLF ,yes WOLF, comes out of the woods into cut field, goes 20ydish ,he spots the same movement i'm seeing!!! wolf suddenly bolts away from the movement, tail between legs,and cleared out of that field in a heart beat!!!!!!! meantime dogs work up towards ditch. then the movement put it's head out of the uncut hay.yell to kid, get in quick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!there's a mountlion on the ditch!!!!!!! the cat was watchin the dogs, but the dogs finally see my van and start running down to see me .( the dogs just love to see me???)
the cat moves back into the hay , gone, (they blend very well in dead hay)about 30sec. later , cat moves into cut field on other side of ditch,stalking,slow and low,lifting his head to smell the wind ,crawlin right to the bale the kid was just at!!!!!!!!!!!! still slow crawlin, smellin , HUNTING , gets to bale , loses the kids scent, comes out of stalk mode and starts to move out across cut field in a gallop. best i could i made a cat growl , cat stops on a dime, looks all around, starts movin kinda sideways, lookin back my way, i call once more , cat stops , looks around again, then just took off to the woods on other side of field.(about 4 min.total )
got home called NYSDEC, asked lots of ques. , they said , we never released wolves or big cats!!! i said to them, that's what you said about the cyotes and look at the prob. with them !!! then i hit 'em with lower lic. sales, higher deer pop., (insurance) deer collisions claims. i told them they won't admit introducing these deer prayin animals so they won't be liable after someone gets attacked, then they said we'll have our superviser call and talk to you. they never did!!!!!!!!
5 days later cat was spotted by highway dept. employee 'bout 3 miles away.

don't beleive if you don't want to , but in the last 2yrs spotted 5 wolves , and yes i do know the diff. between cyotes,or coydogs, and a wolf!! HAD WITNESSES ON ALL SIGHTINGS,ONE A LONG TIME TRAPPER!!!

remember; THE HARDIST THING TO OPEN IS A CLOSED MIND !!! Cats
have a 150sqmil. range, and consume 1 adult deer per week on aver.

i've watched this site for 7mo. but this subject made me join to speak out!
Old 11-24-2005, 09:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

HOLY BRAIN DAMAGE, BATMAN!
Old 11-25-2005, 06:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

any pics?
Old 11-25-2005, 01:21 PM

sorry guy's , kid's 22 , my 222 and binocs were fresh outta film !!

but i did carry a camera everytime after till it got to cold for my eq.

never carried a camera before this when hunting . always preferd to shoot my game with BULLETS , just think they preform better , atleast for me they do .
Old 11-27-2005, 08:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

An adult Cougar must make a deer kill once every ten days. I'm shocked that no kill sites have been reported with all these sightings.
Old 11-27-2005, 08:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

BC,a adult wolf and a mountain lion at the same time? COough cough BS!
Old 11-27-2005, 09:36 AM
Typical Buck

charlie i was wondering when you were going to add to this thread . I was beging to think you gave up on computers
Old 11-27-2005, 04:24 PM

to charliep (brain)

please hunt western ny , and don't ever look behind you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

deer # are down , would like too feed what many who LIVE here , have and still see , something new to the menu !!!!!!!

and by the way to all you CLOSED MIND PEOPLE , a member in a hunting group fired 2 shots thanksgiving morning in stueben co. , at a MOUNTANLION , wanted it dead to show NYSDEC!!! no hits.

so don't open your mind to the cats or wolves , no biggy to me or all of us who live here who do get to see them !!!!! 44 years myself.

even an area paper had a 4x8 in. articale from the NYSDEC with the headlines " MEET YOUR NEW NIEGHBOR " basicly telling you what to do if you incounter one !!!

cough,cough , you guys probably think the world is still flat; surprise it's not !!!!!

Old 11-27-2005, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

a member in a hunting group fired 2 shots thanksgiving morning in stueben co. , at a MOUNTANLION , wanted it dead to show NYSDEC!!! no hits.
Hundreds of similar stories and no hits in them either and nobody ever has a camera - even those claiming multiple sightings. Like Charlie and others, I am still waiting for the FIRST picture that is not from an email chain letter or any verifiable proof.

Got to admit the lion and wolf together is a real tough one to swallow, especially lacking any real proof of either. Now if bigfoot was chasing them, I could see it.

Quick Reply: Moutain Lion in Western NY?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.