HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   Moutain Lion in Western NY? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/121290-moutain-lion-western-ny.html)

Rwalter63 11-15-2005 10:54 PM

Moutain Lion in Western NY?

Alright I know this is a sore topic with some and I am probably opening up a can of worms here but here goes. There has been a report by several hunters in the Hamburg, NY area that they have seen a mountain lion in Hamburg. It appears a large animal also attacked a bow hunters deer decoy. Now I am not saying I believe it or not but here is a copy of the news article reported by television station WKBW Chanel 7 in Buffalo.
More signs of possible mountain[/b] lion[/b] in southtowns

www.wkbw.com/Story.aspx%3FNStoryID%3D7559+mountain+lion+hamburg ,+ny&hl=en]http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:OjLz7tafsUoJ:www.wkbw.com/Story.aspx%3FNStoryID%3D7559+mountain+lion+hamburg ,+ny&hl=en[/url]

"Nov 11, 2005 - There hasn't been a recent sighting, but there's another sign that something unusual is wondering around in the southtowns - possibly a cougar or a mountain[/b] lion[/b].

A deer decoy used for archery target practice in the woods in Hamburg[/b] appears to have been attacked by some kind of large animal The Erie County SPCA is investigating and the experts say it certainly appears from all the evidence and sightings so far that some kind of animal not normally seen here has moved in.

“Whatever hit this, hit it really hard, and would probably have had to get up to speed to do it,” said Joel Thomas, a wildlife expert.

Last week a group of hunters claimed they saw a big cat in the woods near the Village Green Nursery in Hamburg[/b]. So far no ones been able to positively identify the animal. "

So what have you guys in the southern tier by seeing?

buckdropper 11-16-2005 01:48 AM

RE: Moutain Lion in Western NY?

I live in the southern tier and have yet to see anything but coyote's and bobcat's. This subjecthas been debated before....

patrkyhntr 11-16-2005 04:01 AM

I guess one of the ones the Pa. Game Commission stocked got across the line into New York. Sorry about that.

Rwalter63 11-16-2005 06:50 AM

Like I said I realize that this subjected has been beaten to death before in the past. I thought maybe since it was reportedly seen by some hunters maybe I'd get a response from some one who had seen the cat since this is a hunting forum. I grew up in Hamburg and my Mom and my brother and his family still live there. My guess is it was probably a big bobcat that has wandered up here from the southern teir.

jpm8920 11-16-2005 07:20 AM

Well I hunt in the Catskills and I have never seen a mountain lion, but my brother and a friend of ours swear to God that they saw one. I know plenty of people who say they have seen a cougar also. I have seen a couple bobcats, but that is about it.

Mr. .45-70 11-16-2005 06:48 PM

I don't know about Western NY, but on Nov. 14th WPTZ Channel 5 out of Plattsburgh, NY carried a story about a Mountain Lion that was captured on tape by a Homeland Security Camera near the border. Here's the link to see the broadcast story.
http://www.thechamplainchannel.com/index.html

Scroll down the page and near the bottom on the left is the link Nov. 14th Mountain Lion sighting?

It might not be 100% conclusive, but it is damn convincing to say the least. Just thought I'd add a little more fuel to the fire:)

Mr. .45-70

Phade 11-16-2005 06:59 PM

Watch out. I hear Garfield is on the loose.:D

jhoffman 11-17-2005 02:26 PM

I made a post over the summer about a mountain lion that my brother had seen while fishing the Elton Creek in Delevan, NY. About a month later there was a mountain lion spoted in the sam general area as the one he spotted.

Openning week of bow season in NY - In West Valley, NY I arrowed a doe and I lost her in the swamp behind my new house. It got too dark to track her and I figured I would come back and find her in the morning. I got back to the house and got in the shower and my fiance came home from the store and called me outside saying she just heard a mountain lion behind the house. I told her she was nuts and then heard the same thing two more times and had to agree with her that it didn't sound like anything other than a mountain lion. Next day I found my doe and both hind quarters were gone completely.

I went to the local Taxadermist and Archery Shop in Springville, NY - S&S Taxadermist and taked to a couple of the employees there about people seeing mountain lions and what they have herd and it turns out that they have herd plenty. Two of the employees have seen and herd mountain lions in the area themselves and said that the dog catcher has reported seeing a mountain lion on Beach tree Rd. Springville, NY and that a hunter reported seeing a deer carcase that had been drug up into a tree on Cole Rd Springville, NY - Both of these locations are within about 5 miles of my house.

A week ago I was out hunting behind the house and found a set of cat tracks that were the size of my hand in the mud along a logging rd behing my house - There were no claw marks that would make me think that they were dog or coyote tracks. I hear more and more about mountain lions every year in the southern tier and run into more and more people that claim to have seen them personally. How can all these cases keep getting put off as mistaken identities - I just wish that someone would pop one of these animals and calls channels 2, 4, and 7 first and then the DEC after the news crews are there taking pictures. I could care less weather they are around or not but i know what I heard and I trust what my brother saw was a mountain lion and that keeps me looking over my shoulder alot more when I am in the woods - I don't think one would attack a person just for the hell of it but its an erie feeling walking home in that dark down the same trail that I herd one on.

Phade 11-17-2005 05:35 PM

Did you see prints near your doe? Normally you would because of the surgical precision, they will often use their teeth to cut the hindquarters. In order to do that, you'll find cat paws with claw marks, as they are extended to push against the ground for leverage to finish the complete sepearation of the animal's hindquarters.

It's funny that you mention about somone popping one of these. You'd think it'd be done and well documented by now. All you see of the "physical evidence" are DEC cover-up theories. Other than that, there is no real proof at all. The people that supposedly shoot a cougar would not just be "let go" by the DEC if they were covering it up. You always hear the "My friend lost a cow, and it was a cougar, so I shot it, then I called the DEC. They came and took the cougar away, and now deny it was a cougar. Yet they did nothing to me to try to cover it up, letting me spew this crazy story without evidence." Right, Okay.:eek:

There might always be a captive release or escape around, that is not deniable. But a naturally sustaining population seems unlikely with as much firm proof as bigfoot has given us. Yet there's supposedly many more of the cougars in NY compared to the low suspected numbers of bigfoots.:D

mlo3135127 11-17-2005 07:04 PM

Snow is coming to N.Y.. With all of the Mountain Lion sightings in N.Y. there should plenty of tracks, so be sure to take a picture of them. A better idea would be, get some dogs onthe tracksand when you treethe huge cat,take plenty of pictures and video. About the cover-up theory...The federal government can not even keep secrets with people that are sworn to secrecy, so how is it that the DEC can keep a secret withemployees, who are not sworn to secrecy and live in the communities where these mountain lions are said to be released. It is ridiculous.Maybe the FBI and CIA, etc, should get some training tips from the DEC. www.pbase.com/mlo3135127