Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 NY do u think we should have a antler restrictions? >

NY do u think we should have a antler restrictions?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY do u think we should have a antler restrictions?

Old 11-05-2005, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: NY do u think we should have a antler restrictions?

ORIGINAL: Chasam60

I am a little put out over the defeat of the early muzzleloader season in the southern zone.The bow hunters in New York are a very organized group,obviously with a lot of political clout in Albany.I have nothing against bowhunting as a sport,but when you can hunt with a bow from 27Sep to 31Dec.and claim that giving up 7 days hunting time to muzzleloaders,will seriously harm your chances,it just makes me wonder.
Charlie
You weren't the only one...unfortunately that is why it is called politics.
Old 11-05-2005, 05:11 PM

Here's an idea - instead of complaining how much time bowhunters have in the woods - you could buy a bow and join us!
Old 11-05-2005, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Source,

Here is an idea....

Stop trying to infering what other people are saying.

You post directly implies I was complaining.

Where do you come up with that?
Old 11-06-2005, 05:13 AM
Typical Buck

In the Southern zone arhcery is from Oct 15 to Nov 18. Then we get a week after shotgun which I never use. It's not much time for us weekend warriors with a family. That's only 5 weekends! If I didn't have family obligations today, I'd be in the woods. I am all for antler restriction during gun only because archery is much harder than gun is. The other reason is that thereisa smaller population of bow hunters out there.Now take the number of guys that actually get one, it's a small number of bucks killed. I don't see this being a huge impact on the bucks. Maybe it's different in the North, but in the South most of the guys I know that archery hunt do not get a deer. We have 10 bowhunters (ages 17 to 75) that hunt the property I hunt on. So far this year, one guy has an 8 point. I've been hunting archery for 6 years now and I've gotten 1 buck. Thisis not uncommon for a bow hunter. On the other side, I've gotten plenty of deerduring gun! Why because it's a hell of a lot easier! By the way, Iuse a muzzle loader during gun too, just to make it a little more challenging!

We have an antlerrule at our camp. Only shoot 2-1/2 year oldbucks or older, butshoot the does. Some of usthat don't get out very often during archery or haven't gotten many deer with the bow are exempt. Also the old guys and kids are exempt too. All of us have noticed a big improvement in the quality of bucks and we have only been doing this for 4 years. Also, it's only 100 acres of private property.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:29 PM

Hell no if its brown its down. Unless its albino... In that case if its white its down...
Old 11-09-2005, 05:35 PM

I would love to see AR's in NY as well as my home state. They would make things difficult for a couple of years but once things begin tobalance out there will be more big bucks to hunt and that is a big plus in my book.
An added bonus is that you are forced to watch deer that you may have shot in the past. When you just watch you learn a lot about behaviour.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:48 PM

NO NO NO! We just dont have big enough deer at an abundent rate in some parts of NY, this is not IOWA ya know!
Old 11-13-2005, 10:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

Charlie, Binghamton eh? I'm from Vestal.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:46 AM
RMQ

I want meat in my freezer before I worry about antlers on the wall. With the decreased number of deer in my area; and the rapid decline in hunter numbers; the last thing we need are antler restrictions; Thats my opinion. Finding quality hunting land is getting harder and harder to come by; finding the time to hunt, and the money spent involved; I see absolutley no positives from antler restrictions. A guy who can hunt 1 or 2 weekends a year has to pass on a spike buck for some "trophy" hunters desire is rediculous. You can pass up that spike if you want; but don't tell me I have to also; especially when I'm Bow or Muzzleloader hunting. If you want to impose something; lets impose a bounty on Coyotes.
Just my opinion.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:34 AM
Typical Buck

I'm with ya RMQ! Let's not forget the premium price we pay to hunt in this wonderful state!

Quick Reply: NY do u think we should have a antler restrictions?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.