Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 NY do u think we should have a antler restrictions? >

NY do u think we should have a antler restrictions?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY do u think we should have a antler restrictions?

Old 11-14-2005, 07:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: NY do u think we should have a antler restrictions?

Premium price? I can't take my wife and kids out for dinner and a movie for what it costs to hunt and fish in NYS for a year.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:42 AM
jf5

ORIGINAL: RMQ

I want meat in my freezer before I worry about antlers on the wall. With the decreased number of deer in my area;
Why not soot does then if meat is all you want?
Old 11-14-2005, 09:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

Jf5, Let's say like this year my back has been giving me trouble so I haven't been in the woods. I have until friday to hunt I go out and I have an oppurtunity at a nice 4 pt to put in the freezer, I feel it should be my personal choice not yours or the goverments if I take the shot.

Hunting originally was about putting meat in the freezer why not keep it that way?

Old 11-14-2005, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I take it you meant shoot a doe

I agree with Charley 100%

Also how about the guy who does not draw a doe permit? He is supposed to pass on a 4pt so it can grow for the "trophy" hunter". You know the hunter who soots an 80 class 1 1/2 year old trophy.

Its obvious you have not read or choose to ignore all the other arguements against AR (ESPECIALLY those based on points alone) so let me ask you this.
If all you want is bigger horns, why don't you just buy a rack from a farm? Or have a replica made. Why does a "trophy" hunter in search of a "better" (whatever that means) buck have to infringe on everyone else's hunting?

Steve
Old 11-14-2005, 10:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

Why does a "trophy" hunter in search of a "better" (whatever that means) buck have to infringe on everyone else's hunting?
Exactly, I started to get into hunting mature deer for the challenge. AR, BTW have nothing to do with mature deer. Well many of these buck were killed by cars not hunters. After having this happen and getting all bummed out about it, I just started hunting for the fun of it again. You want to kill a 6 pt that's 1.5 yrs old because it makes a three pt on a side rule great. Just don't infringe on my right to kill a 4 pt that's 1.5 yrs old.

I really believe that the more hunting becomes about the size of the rack instead of the hunt the easier it will be for us to loose our ability to hunt.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:42 AM
RMQ

I don't know how your deer population is where you hunt; but here our numbers are way down; so I'd rather put a fat spike or 4pt in the freezer before a Doe. As for the premium price to hunt in NY; I own my house and Land; and the amount of taxes I pay is a premium price; some of the highest taxes and highest paid senators in the nation. I guess your gonna say - sell my land and hunt public land right? Well New York State in its infinite wisdom has just "re-forested" over 600 acres of state land that was leveled by a tornado a few years ago; they planted thousands of Pine trees; This land was originally 80% hardwoods - oak, beech... and apple orchards; are you telling me they have their priorities right about provideing adequate environment for deer? what are they spending all of the conservation money on?I don't trust the state to make quality decisions about a sport i love when they screw things up constantly.
We both have the same number of tags and hunting seasons; you shoot what you want; and I'll shoot what I want. If you ask me, antler restrictions are just one more way to divide hunters, drive some huntersout of the sport and make it easier for the anti's. Big bucks don't get kids in the woods, Quality experiences do. If you love hunting because of big racks, you love hunting for the wrong reasons in my opinion; theres a lot more to it.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Big bucks don't get kids in the woods, Quality experiences do.
Ding ding ding we have a winner.I'll be taking my 7 yr old daughter out of school early today. One of the guys I share hunting land with put up a two man tree stand and she saw it yesterday when we went for a walk. She informed me that it would be really nice of me to take her out like I did her brother and show me how to hunt. He'll be in his climber down the ridge.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:51 AM
jf5

ORIGINAL: SteveBNy

I take it you meant shoot a doe

I agree with Charley 100%

Also how about the guy who does not draw a doe permit? He is supposed to pass on a 4pt so it can grow for the "trophy" hunter". You know the hunter who soots an 80 class 1 1/2 year old trophy.

Its obvious you have not read or choose to ignore all the other arguements against AR (ESPECIALLY those based on points alone) so let me ask you this.
If all you want is bigger horns, why don't you just buy a rack from a farm? Or have a replica made. Why does a "trophy" hunter in search of a "better" (whatever that means) buck have to infringe on everyone else's hunting?

Steve
Woah!! Easy guys. All I was doing is making a suggestion. From what I understand, its pretty easy to get a permit for does in most of NY outside of ADK and other low density areas. Regardless,some of us don't see AR as for the "trophy hunter", we see it as a way to balance the buck to doe ratio and herd age classfor a healthier herd all together. Once that balance is obtained, the AR's can come off.

We all know a 1.5 YO deer can have a rack from spike to 8 point. But a two point side(or whatever AR applies) would be the only way for a hutner to qualify. However, we all know that most (not all) spike bucks are young deer. Having them live another year benefits all, and will benefit the meat hunter in the long run too.

One could argue that if hunting is only for meat and to "keep it that way" Then why have any game laws??Right?

Off course we have game laws for a reason.Additonal laws to help the herd in the long run could be beneficial to ALL hunters and the deer, as well as for other species of animals.

Just my 2 cents. Keep safe out there.

Old 11-14-2005, 12:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry if I jumped - your statement is one used repeatedly by the seekers of "better horn" and I thought that was your position.

Studies have shown 60% or better of the 1 1/2 bucks are 6 or better. By protecting the 4 pt and smaller, you shift the pressure to the 60% that are either better genes or older by a month or 2. This pressure will pretty much wipe out most of this class. Plus you protect the spikes and forks that will always be spikes and forks. Also, the chance of AR coming off once in place I believe would be slim.

I am in 7j and did not get a permit as did many others here and other areas.

You can balance the herd without point restrictions if needed - I just have not seen the need demonstrated other than by trophy hunters.

Take care
Steve
Old 11-14-2005, 12:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

One could argue that if hunting is only for meat and to "keep it that way" Then why have any game laws??Right?
Honestly no.

Quick Reply: NY do u think we should have a antler restrictions?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.