HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - NY do u think we should have a antler restrictions?
Old 11-06-2005, 05:13 AM
nybowhunter
Typical Buck

Default RE: NY do u think we should have a antler restrictions?

In the Southern zone arhcery is from Oct 15 to Nov 18. Then we get a week after shotgun which I never use. It's not much time for us weekend warriors with a family. That's only 5 weekends! If I didn't have family obligations today, I'd be in the woods. I am all for antler restriction during gun only because archery is much harder than gun is. The other reason is that thereisa smaller population of bow hunters out there.Now take the number of guys that actually get one, it's a small number of bucks killed. I don't see this being a huge impact on the bucks. Maybe it's different in the North, but in the South most of the guys I know that archery hunt do not get a deer. We have 10 bowhunters (ages 17 to 75) that hunt the property I hunt on. So far this year, one guy has an 8 point. I've been hunting archery for 6 years now and I've gotten 1 buck. Thisis not uncommon for a bow hunter. On the other side, I've gotten plenty of deerduring gun! Why because it's a hell of a lot easier! By the way, Iuse a muzzle loader during gun too, just to make it a little more challenging!

We have an antlerrule at our camp. Only shoot 2-1/2 year oldbucks or older, butshoot the does. Some of usthat don't get out very often during archery or haven't gotten many deer with the bow are exempt. Also the old guys and kids are exempt too. All of us have noticed a big improvement in the quality of bucks and we have only been doing this for 4 years. Also, it's only 100 acres of private property.