Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 NY do u think we should have a antler restrictions? >

NY do u think we should have a antler restrictions?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY do u think we should have a antler restrictions?

Old 10-30-2005, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: NY do u think we should have a antler restrictions?

Ok - you all have convinced me. Lets go to a 3pt min per side. This will protect the deer like the 2.5 yo fork Phade took.

Then we all can get a crack at the basket 1.5 and 2.5 6 and 8 pt's - 90 class or lower - doesn't matter - I got me a "better" buck look, its an 8 pt. Never mind these young deer had the most potential to become outstanding bucks.

This will allow all those spikes and fork's to maybe mature. Then in only 3 years, the only racks coming in for mounts will be huge.

OR

We could try to educate hunters along the line of QDM principles.
Things like balancing the B/D ratio's and taking MATURE bucks. Hint - a mature buck is NOT a 2.5 basket 8 pt! Take the genetically inferior OLDER spikes and forks out. In a few years we would start to see a REAL difference.

Steve

Old 10-30-2005, 02:14 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: nybowhunter

I'm ok with it during gun but not during archery.
Why? With a 40+ day season and prime time(during rut) do bow hunters need anymore advantage over gun hunters?

Charlie
Old 11-01-2005, 08:07 AM
jf5

ORIGINAL: thesource

ORIGINAL: jf5
The thing is, if AR is implemented, there are plenty of does for the "can't eat the horns" group to take. If they just want meat and don't care about horns, dosn't thisstill allow them a great opportunity to fill the freezer?? All the while protecting young bucks for the horn hunters??
Actually, there are NOT plenty of does. NY is rebuilding and doe permits have been cut by a lot, especially in the southern tier.

I usually see at least one bruiser a year during bow season, if I'm patient and wait for it. I don't often get of course, but I see it.

My opinion? Pass on the small ones to get a big one, but don't prevent those who think a forkie is a big one from getting their trophy.
I see more does in NY than all of New ENgland combined, and I spend very little time in NY. I fished in NY this weekend and saw 11 does Sunday night alone. I guess its all relative to what "alot of does" is. But my mainpoint was there are way to get venison w/o shooting spikes.

I do understand what you mean though...
Old 11-03-2005, 04:49 AM
Typical Buck

Chasam60...if you can not recognize the diffence between bow hunting and gun there is no reason to even start a intelligent conversation regarding antler restriction.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:03 PM
Typical Buck

NY-I probably should have mentioned that I hunt only muzzleloader. My tag is the same as yours.Buck or doe with certain WMU's buck only.I have one shot and 7 days in northern zone,9 days in southern zone. The real question is why no antler restriction on bow hunters?

Charlie
Old 11-03-2005, 04:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am a bowhunter 1st - use an inline in gun and mz. I am against antler restrictions, but if they where implimented would support same rules for gun or bow.

Steve

Old 11-03-2005, 05:45 PM
Typical Buck

Steve-I live in Binghamton only 5 miles from PA. I work with a lot of people who hunt deer in Pa. While most were dead set against restrictions at first,most now agree that it is working as planned.I am a little put out over the defeat of the early muzzleloader season in the southern zone.The bow hunters in New York are a very organized group,obviously with a lot of political clout in Albany.I have nothing against bowhunting as a sport,but when you can hunt with a bow from 27Sep to 31Dec.and claim that giving up 7 days hunting time to muzzleloaders,will seriously harm your chances,it just makes me wonder.That is why I asked the question.how much more advantage do bow hunters want?

Charlie
Old 11-03-2005, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Charlie - I think I agreed with you on the no added advantage - as a bowhunter and and a NYBH member.

On another note, if you are going to count all gun season as huntable with a bow - you need to count it as huntable with a mz also - not just 7 and 9 days. And it is definately a lot easier to take a deer with a mz during gun then it is with a bow. And neither bow/mz tag can be use during gun.

I don't want to start the early mz debate again, but I will use my Omega or White for 32 days of gun season in the southern zone (23 gun - 9 mz) - plenty of opportunity for me to fill the freezer.

Steve
Old 11-03-2005, 08:13 PM
Typical Buck

Steve-You are absolutely right about regular season.I should have made myself more clear.I do use ML during the regular season.The 31 Dec closing dates are for the archery only counties downstate. The only reason I don't hunt with a bow is I don't have the time to do it right.Most good bowhunters I know practice,scout and do it right.They also hate the guys who shoot a dozen arrows 2 days before season opens and go out and miss or wound a deer. They arethe ones who give bowhunters a bad rep. ie.gun hunters "cleaning up the wounded deer from bow season" That to me in BS.There are a lot more bad gun hunters than bow hunters. I prefer one well placed shot and the challenge of only having that one shot.

Charlie
Old 11-04-2005, 02:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Charlie - Lots we agree on!

Steve

Quick Reply: NY do u think we should have a antler restrictions?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.