HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - NY do u think we should have a antler restrictions?
Old 11-01-2005, 08:07 AM
jf5

Default RE: NY do u think we should have a antler restrictions?

ORIGINAL: thesource

ORIGINAL: jf5
The thing is, if AR is implemented, there are plenty of does for the "can't eat the horns" group to take. If they just want meat and don't care about horns, dosn't thisstill allow them a great opportunity to fill the freezer?? All the while protecting young bucks for the horn hunters??
Actually, there are NOT plenty of does. NY is rebuilding and doe permits have been cut by a lot, especially in the southern tier.

I usually see at least one bruiser a year during bow season, if I'm patient and wait for it. I don't often get of course, but I see it.

My opinion? Pass on the small ones to get a big one, but don't prevent those who think a forkie is a big one from getting their trophy.
I see more does in NY than all of New ENgland combined, and I spend very little time in NY. I fished in NY this weekend and saw 11 does Sunday night alone. I guess its all relative to what "alot of does" is. But my mainpoint was there are way to get venison w/o shooting spikes.

I do understand what you mean though...