Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 VT Guys, how's the deer situation looking? >

VT Guys, how's the deer situation looking?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

VT Guys, how's the deer situation looking?

Old 10-10-2005, 09:01 AM

Default VT Guys, how's the deer situation looking?

I've been hunting a few areas with a ton of food and cover, but almost no evidence of deer. Plenty of moose and turkey sign, but no deer. I've also been unable to connect with any partridge as of yet. Anyone else not really too excited about deer season this year? I'll still hunt, but it's getting harder and harder to pull myself out of a warm bed in the predawn each year I go without seeing a single deer.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:00 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: VT Guys, how's the deer situation looking?

Few and far between down in SW Vermont. Bet the kill will be way down for every season. Only seen a couple of small does, but I am hunting ZONE P - no does allowed. Waiting for some cold weather to get the deer moving.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:00 AM
Dominant Buck

Strange as it is I have seen more deer this year than in the last 3 years. Almost every night I have seen deer from the stand and actually passed on a doe with 2 skippers and a decent spike (new regs). Day 2 in the morning I had a 200 pound bear in the orchard within 15 feet for at least 3 minutes. It was really scarfing up the apples and then left for parts unknown. They are fun to watch and I usually see them every year either in bow or rifle. I never shoot them or coyotes but deer are another story. I hunt in northern Vt.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:45 AM

I'm thinking of saving up some money to hunt some place down south. One of those states where deer are actually a nisance. I'm getting real discouraged. I've been hunting deer since I was 10 and I've yet to bag a buck. Part of that is my own lack of hunting skill, but how do you gain skill when the deer population density is so low?
Old 10-10-2005, 12:27 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: VT_Hunter1980

I'm thinking of saving up some money to hunt some place down south. One of those states where deer are actually a nisance. I'm getting real discouraged. I've been hunting deer since I was 10 and I've yet to bag a buck. Part of that is my own lack of hunting skill, but how do you gain skill when the deer population density is so low?
Stick with it and read all you can about different ways to hunt. It happens fast and before you know it Mr. big is there and you have to be ready. Remember the more time you spend in the woods the better your chances. Off season is a great time to explore and see deer. Keep trying you'll make it.

Old 10-10-2005, 12:59 PM
Typical Buck

Don't get discouraged, it took me 9 Hunting seasons before I got my first buck. I started enjoying more sucess when I took up bowhunting. More time in the woods and the skill required with a bow upgraded my woodsmanship skills. Although I still pass up does, I usually punch at least 1 tag a year. I hunt the hills and deer are usually far between, so the only way I can connect is scouting, scouting, and more scouting.
Old 10-10-2005, 01:43 PM

I too have been some what encouraged by the sign and the sightings this year. There appears to be some mast and the apples are everywhere. I haven't seen many partridge eitherbut that doesn't surprise me after the cold wet spring we had.

I like the big north woods.There is still room to spread out up there. I've hunted many days in a row with out seeing a thing, but every once in a while I run into a monster and that keeps me going back.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:52 PM

I have hunted northeastern Vermont twice. The first time (2003) i got a nice 187lb buck. 7points and the best chops I have ever eaten.

last year I saw a small just legal spikehorn 5 minutes into hunting season, let it go. Did not see another buck the whole week after.

I was up there earlier this year and saw alot of signs of bucks on the snowmobile trails. best of luck to you. I am just going to birdhunt this year in VT.

This year I am going to go to Alabama for deer, the limit is 2 a day and they are pretty plentiful. My brother and I are going for a week and could legally shoot like 14 each. That is not my kind of hunting though, that is more like a harvest. I figure a few does and a 8+ point buck if I see one and I will be fine. any ideas on transporting the meat would be appreciated. We are going first week of january. 18 hour drive from taxachusetts.

( It is not a canned hunt or anything, a friends got a camp and the deer are like rats over there)

Old 10-11-2005, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have seen quite a few deer this season so far. In 5 hunts I have seen 11 deer, 17 turkeys, and a large adult fisher. Passed on three small doe so far. Although I have not seen any bucks yet while hunting, I have pictures of 4 different bucks in the area I hunt. Some friends have also seen 2 other bucks in the same area. I think next year will be pretty good if we have a relatively mild winter. I also missed two gobblers on Sunday.

Good luck. . . Rob
Old 10-12-2005, 06:36 PM

Well so far i'm very pleased. I'm in a no doe...no turkey zone D2. I have
seen a ton of turkeys. I have 2 groups of about 40 birds and a group
of 5 yes 5 long beards.....18 to 22 lbs or so. I have been following them
around because believe it of not the deer are doing the same. I have stands all around our farm and were ever they areI see deer. I have seen a lot of does this year. Could have killed anyone of 9 different ones. I have yet to see a fawn................I have also seen a yote going into the stand at 15 yds, but I had no shot.[:@]No rubs yet on the farm, but I did see a huge rubline on the mountain we are moose hunting on.

Good luck there are deer out there.

G