Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Question on handgun hunting in ny >

Question on handgun hunting in ny

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Question on handgun hunting in ny

Old 10-09-2005, 01:32 PM

Default Question on handgun hunting in ny

I am reading through the NY digest and see I can hunt with a handgun. But I can't find more on the rules for this. Like what I could hunt for and when. Unless I'm missing it,been through the book a few times now. Any help would be great thank's.
Old 10-09-2005, 02:07 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Question on handgun hunting in ny

NEW YORK

Manner of Taking
It is illegal to take or hunt wildlife:
[ul][*]while in or on a motor vehicle (except by the holder of a Non Ambulatory Hunter Permit).[*]with the aid of a vehicle's lights.[*]on or from any public road.[*]with any firearm equipped with a silencer.[*]with any firearm which continues to fire as long as the trigger is held back (an automatic firearm).[*]with any semi-automatic firearm with a capacity to hold more than 6 rounds, except:
[ul][*]firearms using .22 or .17 caliber rimfire ammunition or,[*]firearms altered to reduce their capacity to no more than 6 shells at one time in the magazine and chamber combined, or[*]autoloading pistols with a barrel length of less than eight inches. [/ul][*]with a spear.[*]with a bow equipped with any mechanical device which is attached to the bow (other than the bowstring) for drawing, holding or releasing the bowstring except for a physically disabled person in possession of a Handicapped Archer Permit (compound bows are legal).[*]with a spear gun or crossbow except for a physically disabled person in possession of a Modified Crossbow Permit.[*]with an arrow with an explosive head or shaft.[*]with any device designed or intended to deliver drugs to an animal. [/ul]

Old 10-09-2005, 04:39 PM

You can't hunt with a handgun in NY without a NY CCW license, and you can't get the license unless you are a NY resident.

Old 10-09-2005, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah you have to have a NY pistol permit(either carry or hunting listed on it). I have a *Sportsman* which says I can carry when target shooting,hunting or hiking in remote areas. As far as I know NY doesn't honor permits from any other state.
Old 10-09-2005, 06:49 PM

That"S what I have been hearing. I am a NON RES just got my handgun in NJ last month. SO I never thought about hand gun hunting until today when I read it was leagle in NYS. But The digest never made it clear it was for RES only... Thanx for all the info. I hope NYS produces more deer this year then last year.