Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
Handgun Hunting Question >

Handgun Hunting Question

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Handgun Hunting Question

Old 01-15-2002, 01:47 PM
Spike

Default Handgun Hunting Question

Howdy! I posted this on the gun forum too, hope nobody minds it here. I am partaking in IL's late antlerless only handgun season this year for the first time. I know very little about handguns but I'm trying to learn. I'm using a Colt Python .357 Mag and seem to have trouble finding anything bigger than a 125 grain jacketed hollow point round for it. Is this big enough? I bought some 158 grain jacketed hollow points for it a while back while I was at a gun shop in Indiana, but the gun didn't seem to like them all that well (not that accurate) and I am having a REALLY tough time finding them around where I live. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Ray.
Old 01-15-2002, 05:50 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Handgun Hunting Question

While I would prefer the 158 grain, you should be ok with the 125's as long as you limit your shot distance. A well place shot will make up for some power. By the way which county are you hunting?? I will be hunting in Crawford myself. Good luck to you.

Edited by - 454 Casull on 01/15/2002 18:51:20
Old 01-16-2002, 01:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

IMHO, .357 is really on the light side for deer. I would advice to keep shots limited to very close range.
Old 01-16-2002, 11:16 AM
Spike

454, I'm hunting in Jasper county. I live in Cumberland, but have some ground to hunt down in Jasper. Good luck to you as well.

Big Country, Yea, I figured it was a tad small, but it's all I have right now. Distance is not a factor for me right now since I'm not all that great with a handgun yet. I'm only comfortable out to about 20 yards or so and that might be pushing it depending on the shot offered.

Thanks for the advice guys, I really appreciate it.
Old 01-16-2002, 10:40 PM

cmberland,

I am not sure what the matchgrade grain for a .357 is. I use a 44 magnum and its a 240 grain bullet. I would get to close as match grade as possible that allows you to shoot good groups. I have also found out being a pistol hunter that it is more difficult to bring down a deer than I anticipated. A well placed shot it criticial. A fifty yard shot is a exceptional shot for your average pistol hunter, such as my self. Also, one more thing. I do not know about a .357, but on a 44, when a jacketed bullet is used, the copper jacket does not allow the bullet to exapand worth a d@#!. This makes a well placed shot even more critical. I am experimenting with some other style bullets that do not have jackets and are softer. I have a friend who had a dan wesson .357 and my dad also has one and they both used 158 grain jacketed hollow points and they ripped right thru with no problem....their pistols seem to like them pretty well too.......My dad used some CCI Blazers (non reloadable) and i don't know what my buddy used but both pistols seemed to like them pretty well, so i would feel confidnet in using 158 grainers.Oh yeah...they use iron sights as well so its more difficult for them, i use a red dot scope......GOOD LUCK!
Old 01-17-2002, 08:15 AM
Spike

Hey, thanks for all the feedback thunderhead. Handgun season opens bright and early in the morning and all I have is the 125 grain shells right now. Looks like I'll take them but I will be extra careful to get a good shot. I tried some Winchester 158 grain jacketed hollow points a while back and couldn't get a good group to save my soul. Unfortunately, with work and family commitments, I haven't had much chance to try out these 125 grain shells I just bought. I know it's a tad irresponsible to go out like this, but it there's no way I'd stay home on a technicality. As I mentioned, I intend to go only for the close range shots and hope for the best. This pistol hunting thing was a last minute idea that was hurried along a bit for me this year. Next year I'll have a little more experience and be much more prepared for it. I love the idea of getting out in the woods one last weekend before all the seasons close out for the year. Pretty bummed about the lack of snow though. Oh well. Thanks again for the response.
Ray
Old 01-17-2002, 10:00 PM

cmberland,

no prob! good luck........and let us know if you turn that cannon loose on anything!