Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Whitetails in Maine >

Whitetails in Maine

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Whitetails in Maine

Old 10-09-2005, 09:40 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Whitetails in Maine

ORIGINAL: Portage

Maine is a pretty big state and you don't give any information as to where you may be hunting. It can be cold, it might be warm. Depending on what area of the state you want to hunt you might be in a ton of deer or really have to hunt to find them. You could have a wilderness experience or you could be hunting the smaller woodlots of central and southern Maine.

A little more info might be helpful.
Ditto on what Portage said. How you doing Portage. Getting ready for snow up there?
Old 10-09-2005, 05:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

It depends what you like. It is cold and lots of timber up northen Maine or its warmer and a little more crowded in the southern areas. I like the western part in the Mts. it is plane beutiful there are some real brusers up there too and a good amount of deer. But who cares it is so nice and quit. I guess thats why they say AAhhhh Maine the way life is suppose to be
Old 10-09-2005, 07:10 PM

I have lived in Maine my whole life (thus far) and did not grow up a hunter...am self taught...I live in one of the 2 most southern counties....deer in maine are fairly plentiful south of say bangor and closer to the coast...this is where over 50-percent of the people live and where there is a healthy mix of farmland and woods and milder winter weather...but the biggest deer killed each year in Maine are generally killed near a town called Jackman....the woods are dark and deep...but guides tend to work cheap here and generally by the day....hunt early in November not late if you expect to get a deer....it is damned hard demanding hunting in northern maine, generally the stuff of knowledgeable locals and the very best of hunters....do a google search for a book by a fellow named bernier (last name) he is probably the best solo hunter tracker of big northern maine deer alive today....and get ready to be cold...270 is second only to 30-06 in northern maine....we are old fuddy duddies here, still using alot of 303 british, 30-30, and 300-savages too....feel free to ask for any other info i might be able to give you...
Old 10-10-2005, 03:32 PM
Spike

As the gang here is telling you, different areas of Maine can produce different results and different hunting situations. I hunt Central Maine, which is pretty much farmland and larger blocks of woods. Lot's of deer around. If you want more detail, take a look over at www.huntingchat.net . There are a bunch of Maine hunters over there who hunt all corners of the state who can give you more detail on the specific areas... DL
Old 10-10-2005, 06:57 PM

Hello Champlain Islander.

It has been unseasonably warm here so far. Still waiting for that first cold snap.

How are things with you?

Old 10-11-2005, 11:52 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Portage

Hello Champlain Islander.

It has been unseasonably warm here so far. Still waiting for that first cold snap.

How are things with you?

Going good for an old timer. Getting ready for my annual Newfoundland Woodland Caribou hunt in about 10 days. Still bow hunting but starting to get the itch for the rifle. I don't know if I will be in Maine or New Hampshire this year. Depends on some scouting I need to do when I get back from the rock. Hope you had a great summer and get ready for ice fishing after the deerseason. Nice to see our old nemesis MHH has been booted. He was a jerk but created some lively discussions. Take care Portage and best of luck this season.
Frank

Old 10-11-2005, 02:03 PM

Hi guys, thanks for the input so far. The place I might be going is around Moose Lake area, northern part of th state....
Old 10-11-2005, 05:17 PM

Guys, I got even more info. Mooshead Lake in Greenville. Its like the center of Maine. The 11th thru the 18th of Nov.

Old 10-11-2005, 06:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have bear hunted in Maine , but never deer hunted there, try maineguides.com for another site...