Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Whitetails in Maine >

Whitetails in Maine

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Whitetails in Maine

Old 10-07-2005, 11:51 AM

Default Whitetails in Maine

Anyone every hunt whitetails in Maine.? A friend of mine wants to gothe second week of November. anyone have any experience up there. Real cold in Nov, a lot of deer, easy/hard hunting?Help me decide...!
Old 10-07-2005, 02:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Whitetails in Maine

I hunted in northern Maine for a week last year. i didn't see many deer at all. Just a few does, but I absolutely loved it. There is more land than you know what to do with, and I saw sign of some HUGE bucks, just never got a look at 'em. I was there during the last week of November and it was very cold, but we walked a lot, so it wasn't that bad. The land also has such a wilderness feel to it. If you love the outdoors and you love hunting then go for it.
Old 10-07-2005, 05:58 PM
Fork Horn

If you don't mind the cold temps, and not seeing lots of deer, you'll love it. As JPM said, there is plenty of room to roam in the North Maine Woods if that's where you are heading. There aren't many deer per square mile, but there are some bruisers running around and during latter part of November you have a good chance of crossing paths with one if you hunt hard.Make sure you have and know how to use a compass and carry a spare as well. I'm sure some of the Mainers and New Englanders on the board can give you some additional info, although a lot of Mainers tend to frown on all the "flatlanders" heading north each fall! [8D]
Old 10-07-2005, 06:05 PM

JPM & M00, thanks for the info. Hey Mainers, come on give me some info. Also is a .270 good enough up there?
Old 10-07-2005, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

its kinda not an easy hunt. if your heading to the north woods you have to get out and do some tracking. if theres no snow your kinda beat. its a hunt that you have to make happen. dont expect to just set a stand up wait. its gonna be pretty darn cold. sucess is low but when you do see a buck it could be a 200lb. 4 point. the good thing about it is that you can get a weeks hunt for a good price for a week with lodging and meals. do a search i think there was a good topic a year ago about it. http://www.allagashwildernesscamps.com/deer.html
Old 10-07-2005, 06:26 PM
Fork Horn

A .270 will kill a deer in any state.....even those big bruisers up north.
Old 10-08-2005, 04:19 PM

http://www.state.me.us/ifw/wmd/map.htm

In northern and eastern areas, deer populations are low, but ya might also get a chance at a large 200 lb. + deer.

Old 10-08-2005, 10:16 PM

My brother lives in Maine.You might not see many deer but they have alot of bear and moose!Just seeing an animal like that would make any hunt great!
His friend just harvested a 950 pound moose!
Old 10-09-2005, 01:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yea ,never again Spent a week there. did not see a deer
Old 10-09-2005, 09:03 AM

Maine is a pretty big state and you don't give any information as to where you may be hunting. It can be cold, it might be warm. Depending on what area of the state you want to hunt you might be in a ton of deer or really have to hunt to find them. You could have a wilderness experience or you could be hunting the smaller woodlots of central and southern Maine.

A little more info might be helpful.

Quick Reply: Whitetails in Maine

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.