HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Whitetails in Maine
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2005, 07:10 PM
theelder

Default RE: Whitetails in Maine

I have lived in Maine my whole life (thus far) and did not grow up a hunter...am self taught...I live in one of the 2 most southern counties....deer in maine are fairly plentiful south of say bangor and closer to the coast...this is where over 50-percent of the people live and where there is a healthy mix of farmland and woods and milder winter weather...but the biggest deer killed each year in Maine are generally killed near a town called Jackman....the woods are dark and deep...but guides tend to work cheap here and generally by the day....hunt early in November not late if you expect to get a deer....it is damned hard demanding hunting in northern maine, generally the stuff of knowledgeable locals and the very best of hunters....do a google search for a book by a fellow named bernier (last name) he is probably the best solo hunter tracker of big northern maine deer alive today....and get ready to be cold...270 is second only to 30-06 in northern maine....we are old fuddy duddies here, still using alot of 303 british, 30-30, and 300-savages too....feel free to ask for any other info i might be able to give you...