Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Maryland squirrel hunters >

Maryland squirrel hunters

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Maryland squirrel hunters

Old 10-01-2005, 02:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default Maryland squirrel hunters

I was up in my tree this morning, heard some leaves rustling and thought I was going to see a nice deer move into my shooting lane. Instead, a squirrel hunter unloaded his shotgun at about 40 yards, heard shot hitting the leaves around me. I yelled for him to hold his fire and put on my orange hat. This is the second year in a row I have had a close call like this during squirrel season. Anyone else have this happen? Should I be wearing orange up in my stand to be safe?

-Rick C.
Old 10-01-2005, 03:20 PM

Default RE: Maryland squirrel hunters

here we go again[:@]
Old 10-01-2005, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

rick whats up man........are you having these experiences in monocacy? I dont expect much more if you are hunting public land. I think you should keep a slingshot with you and when that happens zing a ball bearing at their chest to give them a nice reminder that their idiots!!!
Old 10-01-2005, 07:26 PM

Yeah. Wear your orange hat all the time. You should've learned after the first time.
Old 10-01-2005, 07:50 PM
Fork Horn

unless you are hunting private property... it all comes down to whatever YOU think will workfor a safer day in the woods.

p.s i also would have learned after the first time.
Old 10-02-2005, 08:10 PM

Here is my .02. I have had many a bowhunt screwed by squirrel hunters, and sometimes its frustrating, but they have just as much right to be in the woods hunting as I do. We are in the tree in full camo doing our best not to be seen so I think its our responsibility to make sure we are seen by squirrel hunters. I would suggest an orange band wrapped around your tree. This will alert any hunters looking up for squirrels that you are there, and it should not mess you up with the deer at all.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:51 AM

ok guys - this i got to say... i am a novice hunter and so is my son. both only been at this for 2 years. I love being in the woods and consider myself extremely aware of my surroundings - i personally think that on PUBLIC LAND you should ALWAYS have some kind of ORANGE indication - a tie around the tree, your hat, anything, but something - my son is very aware of his surroundings, but would have probably missed you in this instance. We went squirrlin this weekend, and although we only saw two other hunters they did have a bit (not much, but enough) orange around them. I think it is your only way to be safe.