Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Experiment

Old 08-10-2005, 05:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Experiment

in regards to opening up sections of woods to promote new growth.... an excellent idea. my hunting buddies and i did this several years ago and the results where phenominal. what used to be a thick section of forest that forced deer and other forms of wildlife to look elsware for food was turned into a buffet... this year we have done the same thing in another section. in my humble opinion... if more outdoorsman took it upon themselves to manage our natural resourceswe would not have to rely on our state agencies to do it for us by making new laws.....just my 2 cents.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

skinner,have you noticed any overbrowsing in your area where you opened up?
Old 08-11-2005, 05:45 PM
Fork Horn

i have noticed that there are more deer making use of this area but the deer have not yet had to try to extend(stretch) to reach any buds from the new growth. sorry for being so vauge with my answer... i am not very good with scientific terms.
in a answer i feel that opening up some of these thicker sections of woods have given the deer a natural food source so that they(deer) will not have to over browse other areas.

hopefully we will try to open up a few more areas and see how it works out.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like a good plan skinner.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:22 PM
Fork Horn

hopefully this idea will catch on with other hunters/landowners in the area that we hunt. it may be hard work but in the end i truly feel that with proper land managment along with sensible hunting... the end result will make everybody happy. just my 2 cents.