Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Upcoming GP Experiment >

Upcoming GP Experiment

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Upcoming GP Experiment

Old 10-01-2007, 01:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Upcoming GP Experiment

FOLLOWING IS FROM THE POST ON MY SIX SABOT RANGE EXPERIMENT.

[blockquote]quote from Underclocked:

If you try that Great Plains again, humor me and weight sort the bullets and weigh the powder charges equivalent to90 grains by volume. An overpowder wad wouldn't hurt either. [/blockquote]

OK Underclocked, I'll do that next week end, but will have to use some 385 grainGreat Plains that I have on hand - I'm out of 410s. Will shoot three 5-shot groups, one each with Triple Seven, Pyrodex, and American Pioneer.

Do you want me to stick with90 grains volume powder chargefor the 385s?

Are you sure about the overpowder wads? I have some .510" diameter, 1/16" thickCircle Fly vegetable fiber wads that I soaked with Lee Liquid Alox and dried in the sun. They work great under Lee REALs, but I've never tried them under GPs. Always thought you shouldn't use wads under hollow base bullets like the GPs.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

UPDATE: I started to weigh sort the 385s, and hit a minor snag. The Great Plains are pre-lubed with varying amounts of lube in the groves and in the hollow base. I selected one of the more heavily lubed bullets and weighed it. Thenrubbed the lube into the grooves with my finger -removing some of the excess - and scraped about 1/3 of the lube out of the hollow base and weighed it again. It weighed .5 grains less.Anyway, I went ahead and weighed all 20 bullets in the box and found they varied no more than .7 grains from heaviest to lightest. I thought that wasamazingly consistent under the circumstances, and plenty close enough for the experiment.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Upcoming GP Experiment

Questions covered in the other thread. That is close tolerance on those weights - very close.