Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Slugging Experiment >

Slugging Experiment

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Slugging Experiment

Old 01-19-2008, 07:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Slugging Experiment

I was just looking at this new Z5 the other night and was wondering how different the bore in it might be as compared the the SS Omega. I guess I was a bit worried that I might have one of those extra tight TC bores.

Anyway I dug out a .504 Bull Shop - took it to the sink and with hot water and a tooth brush washed all the lube off the bullet.

Dropped it into the QLA fo the Z5 and with the range rod pushed to the bottom of the barrel. I was really surprised it went down as easy as it did, but it was on a squeaky clean and lubed barrel. Took the breech plug out and pushed the bullet out the breech. I then put it back into the barrel of the Z5, it dropped the the bottom of the QLA. I pushed a bit with my thumb and met resistance - so I got a pair of forseps and turned the bullet in the QLA until the bullet lined up with the riflings. It was really obvious when this happen, the bullet dropped a bit and with a small amount of thumb pressure I could push the bullet down. Grabbed the range rod and the weight of the rod pushed the bullet down to the breech.

Next grabbed the SS Omega and inserted the bullet into it... same thing turn the bullet with forseps and feel it drop then ram rod weight to the breech. So in my mind those two bores are really close to equal.

Well, now I had to try that same conical in the Remingtons. I still had to align the bullet with the riflings which was a lot easier since the Rems do not have a QLA - but once I hit the alignment the bullet slid all the way to the bottom - turn the Rem's upside down and the bullet fell back out on the carpet.

Decided to go another step... The SS GM-LRH barrel was next it went exactly as the Remingtons. Then tried the blued GM-LRH - same results.

So now I have proved to myself what i already kinda knew. The Remingtons and the GM barrels have about the same bore. They all will load the a HPH-24 or regular Harvester just fine. The Omega have always appeared a bit tighter but I can get a 24 down the SS Omega with out much of a problem, now this gives me hope that I can and will be able to load 24's down the Z5. But just in case I do have some 3p's and crush ribs on hand...

Excuse the rambling but it was interesting to me...
Old 01-19-2008, 07:45 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Slugging Experiment

That is an interesting experiment there... I've never slugged my bores yet.
Old 01-19-2008, 07:55 PM

That's quite an interesting test you come up with there. Would it be safe to assume then that all those MLs have the same size rifleing groves, I mean is there any standard as far as the number of rifling lands and their width( don't mean depth I'm sure there has to be variation there). I guess I'm just very suprized that the rifling marks in that conical matched up with that many different MLs. I must addmit I thought there would have been a bigger difference brand to brand in the number of and size of the rifling lands.
That's whats so great about this forum there is so much to learn. Although the more I learn from you guys here the more questions I seem to have.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

HeavyDutyWonk

Never even thought about it from that prospective... but they were all 1/28 twists. The bullet would not go down any of them until I rotatated it so that the bullet lined up with the lands and grooves - then it would drop right down in the Rems & GM barrels. I am assuming it rotated its way down also. In the Omega's I am sure it rotated down.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:07 PM

I was curious becuase I purchased an after market match barrel for a pistol of mine and not only were the rifling different sizes but they spun in the opposite directions. That's what got me thinking about it and why I wondered if there was a differance or if there was some kind of standard that the different brands use. Your test results would seem to indicate there must be at least some kind of uniform theory any ways. Thanks for the test comparison it was very thought provoking.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:28 PM
Typical Buck

The rifeling in your guns are all very similar. But not all are the same. The width and depth of the grooves can vary as can the number of grooves.