Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

deer scents

Old 07-26-2005, 09:52 PM

Default RE: deer scents

I never use scents of any kind, I try to keep it as natural as I can when hunting. By using things around my hunting area like turning over leaves and dirt, or rubbing greenpine needles and leaveson my cloth.I wash my cloth in baking soda and hang them out side to dry and keep them stored in plastic bags away from other scents that are strange to my hunting area. The best scent that I have found is ( common senses).
Ishot my first deer when I was 21 with a 308model 88 Winchester, I an 67 now and have lost count of how many deer I have taken with gun and bow over the years.I do know Ihave taken 18 deer with a muzzle loader in the past two years from 10 yd's. to230yd's. [/align]So good luck with your scents or commonsenses and hunt smart and safe.[/align]
Old 07-29-2005, 11:23 AM

I have hunted most my life not being concerned w/ scents ...other than covering my own up (regular bathing w/ scentless soap, pine bows, the like) ...but over the last 3-4 years I have become quite a believer ...we have been using draglines w/ either doe or dominant buck urine (...no specific brand ...cheap) ...we drag the stuff across trails or do a clover-leaf walk around the area we plan to stand hunt ...in short, we have beenhaving alot of bucks come down drag linesright to us ...between me and my buddies we have taken some real nice bucks in PA and NJ (both in the mountains and farming country) that I don't think we would have seen if it were not for the scent lines

...I had a real nice non-typical get by me in NJ fall bow in Assunpink WMU...I attached a dragline to my boot on the walk inalong the edge of 2-3 fields...an hour later I saw thebuck about 80 yards out with his nose to the ground following the same paththru anover-grown field I walked to get to my stand ...I thought it was a slam dunk ...yeah right no such thing ...at 30 yards he hit a fresh scrape that changed his attitude completely ...he turned off the trail and walked away from me at an angle that provided no shot

so in that one little story are two examples of scent playing a big role ...the buck definitely followed the drag in and he definitely got freaked by whatever he smelled in that fresh scrape
Old 07-29-2005, 12:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

You make a good point on emphasizing the fact you didn't pay a lot for the products you used. Sure, there might be some better than others. But I have used expensive stuff with no results because of application.

I think if you use it properly than the cheap stuff will work. Drag lines are great applications. I have always had luck with them.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:06 PM
Typical Buck

I got the best reaction I ever got with a scent last year while using Bob Kirschners Silvertop (November 1st BTW). It actually pulled a buck off of a doe and zig-zagged him in to me. I'm pretty sure the doe wasn't hot judging from the chase I witnessed just before the shot, but that it pulled any deer off the real thing makes me want to try it again this year.