Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

deer scents

Old 07-07-2005, 08:10 PM
Typical Buck

Default deer scents

how many use deer scents while hunting? if so what brand,and how do you like it?
Old 07-08-2005, 02:44 AM

Default RE: deer scents

pa i use james river valley, had deer come right up to my stand ,, use tinks before and it didnt work for me at that time my friend set up tinks bomb last season and got his first deer in 20 years hunting with that stuff, go figure ,
Old 07-08-2005, 03:19 AM

When I was younger my father use to talk of a hunter that before the hunt would shower with baking soda then roll in the manure pile to attempt to cover his scent. Never did hear how his luck was when he used this method.
Old 07-24-2005, 09:06 PM

ive tried several different buck and doe scents........ cant tell if they worked or didnt........ I mostly jsut use a Earth cover scent most of the time now

ive seen people set in tree stands and smoke cigarettes like crazy and have deer come right up to them almost..go figure
Old 07-25-2005, 10:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

I use Bob Kirchner's, He's from out your way.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:52 AM
Fork Horn

I am with Jamiebuck, I too use James River Valley and Bob Kirchner's together. I have watch bucks lick the branch that I put the James River Valley on.

I've seen too many deer run from Tink's 69
Old 07-26-2005, 12:38 PM
Fork Horn

A friend of mine always seems to bag a deer during archery while the rut is going on.Everytime I ask him abouthow he got it hestarts out with, "I just put mycigarette out not 2 minutes before hand when etc, etc,...................."

Maybe I should start smoking. Sounds to me you should just save your money on those scents and hunt the rut.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you hunt the wind, the scent from your area does not go to where the deer are. Therefor, neither does your estrous potion. If the wind does go to the deer, they might smell human, too. As for putting it on the ground, and leading them to your stand - maybe. I've never had a deer come into a scent. I've rattle one in, though.
Old 07-26-2005, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've had deer come into scent, run from scent...hard to figure out. The best luck I ever had in my life, I'll try to keep this concise: I went to the store to get Tinks when they first came out. The racks were clean, all sold out. The clerk comes up to me and says " so you wanna piss off a buck?" I said " I guess."

He suggested I try Ben Lee's Dominant Buck Urine. So I bought it, and went the night before, hung 2 scent bombs dripping with the stuff. Even brought my dog with me.

The next morning was early November, cold, and dry. Freshened up the bombs and here came the 7 pointerI had been anticipating. He didn't even stop to smell my stuff; just kept on his way with nose to ground and I missed...bad.

Thinking my hunt was over, an hour later somebody is coming up behind me. I'm thinking who is coming up so boldly and unconcerned? I turn around to see what hunter is about to stumble my way and lo and behold the biggest buck I have ever seen from a treestand is looking directly at me!!

Not only did he see me, but he came in anyway. He went straight for the bombs. I guess he really was pissed and the anger got the better of him. He was just huge!

Anyway, I shot and missed.

So, sorry about the story. I couldn't resist thinking of the relevance.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:55 PM
Typical Buck

you make a very good point here.. i never really tried any scents cept for some cover scents but i am still going totry something this year.. that code blue stuff seems good but for 40 bucks a bottle, ill get something else..
BarnesX- i rattled 3 bucks in last year in one morning. it was one of my best days ever. only problem was i was bow hunting some private land, and was only to shoot a doe.. i was just seeing what i could bring in.. this place is amazing deer everywhere.. the bad part was so many deer, so hard to draw. i ended up missing a doe. but what a day.

ORIGINAL: BarnesX.308

If you hunt the wind, the scent from your area does not go to where the deer are. Therefor, neither does your estrous potion. If the wind does go to the deer, they might smell human, too. As for putting it on the ground, and leading them to your stand - maybe. I've never had a deer come into a scent. I've rattle one in, though.

Quick Reply: deer scents

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.