Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Cougar Confirmed in Michigan >

Cougar Confirmed in Michigan

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Cougar Confirmed in Michigan

Old 02-05-2005, 01:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default Cougar Confirmed in Michigan

Tests confirm cougar in Upper Peninsula
February 3, 2005, 7:17 PM

LANSING, Mich. (AP) -- DNA testing has confirmed that a large cat struck by a vehicle last year was a cougar, but it remains unclear whether Michigan has an established population of wildcats, a state wildlife official said Thursday.

A motorist reported hitting "a large cat" in southern Menominee County on November 2, 2004. The driver turned over hair samples collected from the bumper to biologists at the Michigan Department of Natural Resources field office in Escanaba.

The samples were forwarded to the Wildlife Division's pathology lab, then sent to Central Michigan University for analysis.

"This is exactly the kind of information we are looking for to gain a better understanding of what animals are present in Michigan and identify potential areas for additional work," said Ray Rustem, the DNR's natural heritage unit supervisor.

Even so, he said, the test result "still does not confirm the presence of a breeding population in Michigan."

The nonprofit Michigan Wildlife Conservancy contends there is such a population and has been trying to document it for several years. DNR officials say even if people occasionally spot cougars, the animals might be just passing through or could be pets that were released into the wild.
Old 02-05-2005, 10:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Cougar Confirmed in Michigan

I have a friend who has seen them up there while hunting...
Old 02-08-2005, 02:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt near Escanaba and have yet to see a cougar but have friends who have claimed they have seen more than one. We got those darned wolves we don't need no stupid cougars! I guess some people want them though. Oh well, maybe they will come up with some more info.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:17 PM

they are also in the lower peninsula. i have a buddy who has found tracks on his property near manistee and another friend (the 2 do not know each other) who lives near manistee and has found a dead deer high up in a pine tree and couger sign all around. im my opinion, i think it would be great to have them here. i am also a fan of the wolves. they were both here long before any white man.

brian
Old 02-13-2005, 05:13 AM
Fork Horn

We are getting a very large number of big cats in Weatern SD and have seen a few myself.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:43 AM

There is a seminar about cougars in MI @ Ferris State University on Feb 21st

It is presented by a biologist and he has proof that there is an established Mountain Lion population in MI.
Old 02-17-2005, 12:01 PM

We're getting more and more reports of mountain lions here in Nebraska, also. I've seen tracks on my own property while deer hunting, and a lion was sighted a couple of miles east of my house a few months ago. One was even shot with a tranquilizer dart within the city limits of Omaha a year or so ago.

I don't usually go into the timber unarmed anymore.

clunker