Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Confirmed Cougar Sighting in Southern Illinois >

Confirmed Cougar Sighting in Southern Illinois

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Confirmed Cougar Sighting in Southern Illinois

Old 03-12-2008, 10:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Confirmed Cougar Sighting in Southern Illinois

Not really. But this past weekend I was in Richland County and ran into one of my cousins. He said that someone told him that someone else had seen a huge cat print in the big creek bottom about a mile from my parents place. How's that for a story[:'(]
Old 03-12-2008, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Confirmed Cougar Sighting in Southern Illinois

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

Not really. But this past weekend I was in Richland County and ran into one of my cousins. He said that someone told him that someone else had seen a huge cat print in the big creek bottom about a mile from my parents place. How's that for a story[:'(]

If nothing else I always have my cell phone which has the capability of taking pictures. I'd like to see a picture of these claimed tracks people talk about. Not that I havea reason not to believe your cousin's friend's friend. I'd love to find a track like that. Lay something like a pocket knife beside it for size comparison and take pictures.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just did a quick search, I though a cougar had already been found in Richland County awhile back. It was Randolph County in 2000 hit by a train. Most recent documented was 2004 in Mercer County and dead cougar was found with a arrow in it.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

I don't know if it was a track in the snow or in the mud. I don't put much stock into it. However, since there have been a couple of confirmed cougar sightings in Illinois, it does kind of make you wonder. Also, there have been a number of bobcat sightings in that area in recent years, so maybe the guy saw a really big bobcat print. That area is about the equivalent of 2 or 3 square miles of continuous creek bottom and brush,with other large wooded spots in the general area. Sothat would be a good area if there was something new hiding out.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:30 PM
Typical Buck

I belive there is big cat in Illinois. I personally have seen one near Savanna Il. A couple tears back, fishin on the ol mis. It was running up the bank, looked like a deer hind quarter it had. Real thick woods around there, and not alot of foot traffic.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

I used to live not far upriver from where they found the dead cougar in Mercer County. Not a big surprise there, since it is in some pretty wild river bottom country and is right across the river from Iowa where sightings are now pretty common. Seeing one on the southeast side of the state would be an even bigger surprise.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

man...i would think with all of these hundreds of sightings that i would have seen one by now[&:]
Old 03-13-2008, 06:45 AM
Kid
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

He said that someone told him that someone else had seen a huge cat print in the big creek bottom about a mile from my parents place. How's that for a story[:'(]
Probably a Bigfoot track!
Old 03-14-2008, 06:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

Funny, but since i posted this story on another site, people are coming out of the woodwork with stories about tracks and sightings in that part of the country going back 20 years. There was even the usual "black panther" story as well. Both silly and interesting.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:06 AM
Spike

You would think with all of the hunters have trail cameras out someone would have a picture of one. Not saying that I do not believe anyone on there sightings but pictures are worth millions.

Quick Reply: Confirmed Cougar Sighting in Southern Illinois

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.