Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 CWD confirmed in WV >

CWD confirmed in WV

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

CWD confirmed in WV

Old 09-02-2005, 03:58 PM

Default CWD confirmed in WV

http://www.wvdnr.gov/2005news/05news167.shtm
Old 09-02-2005, 04:29 PM

Default RE: CWD confirmed in WV

Here is the actual announcement from the WV DNR Website.

Chronic Wasting Disease Found in Hampshire County Deer

The West Virginia Division of Natural Resources announced today it has received confirmation that a road-killed deer in Hampshire County tested positive for Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD). “This is the first known occurrence of CWD in West Virginia ,” said Director Frank Jezioro . “Upon receiving this confirmation, we initiated our CWD Response Plan which is designed to effectively address this important wildlife disease issue.”

The CWD Response Plan is specifically designed to accomplish the following goals:
[blockquote]
(1) determine the prevalence and the distribution of CWD through enhanced surveillance efforts;
(2) communicate and coordinate with the public and other appropriate agencies on issues relating to CWD and the steps being taken to respond to this disease;
(3) initiate appropriate management actions necessary to control the spread of this disease, prevent further introductions of the disease and possibly eliminate the disease from the state. [/blockquote]

The West Virginia Division of Natural Resources, in cooperation with the Southeastern Cooperative Wildlife Disease Study located at the University of Georgia 's College of Veterinary Medicine , has tested 1,320 free-ranging deer from West Virginia for CWD since 2002, and the Hampshire County deer is the only animal found thus far to be infected with CWD. The positive CWD sample was collected from a 2½ year-old, male deer in Hampshire County as part of a long-term, statewide CWD surveillance effort. The Hampshire County deer tissue sample was first tested at the Southeastern Cooperative Wildlife Disease Study in Athens , Georgia , and then confirmed as positive for CWD by the U.S. Department of Agriculture's National Veterinary Services Laboratories in Ames , Iowa .

CWD is a neurological disease found in deer and elk, and it belongs to a family of diseases known as transmissible spongiform encephalopathies. The disease is thought to be caused by abnormal, proteinaceous particles called prions that slowly attack the brain of infected deer and elk, causing the animals to progressively become emaciated, display abnormal behavior and invariably results in the death of the infected animal. There is no known treatment for CWD, and it is always fatal for the infected deer or elk. It is important to note that currently there is no evidence to suggest CWD poses a risk for humans or domestic animals.

CWD was first recognized in 1967 in Colorado , and it subsequently had been found in captive herds in nine states and two Canadian provinces and in free-ranging deer or elk in nine states and one province. Earlier this year, the disease was found as far east as New York . The source of infection for wild and captive deer and elk in new geographical areas is unknown in many instances. While it is not known exactly how CWD is transmitted, lateral spread from animal to animal through shedding of the infectious agent from the digestive tract appears to be important, and indirect transmission through environmental contamination with infective material is likely.

“While the West Virginia Division of Natural Resources certainly considers this a serious wildlife disease situation with potential impacts to the state's important deer management program, I am confident that our well trained and professional staff of wildlife biologists, wildlife managers and conservation officers will meet this challenge and implement appropriate management strategies,” said Jezioro. “In addition, we are most fortunate to have scientists and veterinarians stationed at the Southeastern Cooperative Wildlife Disease Study, including some of the foremost wildlife disease experts in the world, available to assist us in this effort.”

More information on CWD can be found at the West Virginia Division of Natural Resources' Web site: www.wvdnr.gov/hunting/chronicwaste.shtm and the CWD Alliance website: www.cwd-info.org .
**DNR**
Old 09-02-2005, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's too bad. It'll drive the DNR to do something drastic, probably.

Hopefully it is isolated and won't spread.
Old 09-02-2005, 04:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Ouch
Old 09-02-2005, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

We have had cases here in NY. But it isn't having the same effect as in the west. I don't understand why but the deer don't die from it. But I am glad they don't get effected like that.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

spikehorn11-

Its not that they don't die from it - its that we don't hear about it. Folks in the Colorado deal with CWD every year. Soon - we all will too. If its not in the wild populations in NY already - it probably will be in 10 years.

Whats the status in WI ? Anyone know? Last year it was a big deal - but already the "shock" is wearing off.

FH
Old 09-02-2005, 11:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I thought that if deer were dieing off that people would be finding them. I guess I forget that most people aren't in the woods all year like me.
Old 09-03-2005, 08:36 AM
Typical Buck

It'll drive the DNR to do something drastic
Well the first thing they should do is ban baiting.
Old 09-03-2005, 03:26 PM

Buckshot, dont take it personal, Im just using your logic to illustrate a point...with that line of thinking, the next thing they should do after that is ban leaving any crops standing beyond harvest. Same as baiting as it brings deer together. Also, they better slaughter half the herd for starters, so theres no further natural contact either. Why stop there, theyd better figure out how to "turn off" the breeding season, way too much contact there as well. Starting to sound really silly, is it? Of course! Especially when noone yet knows how CWD is spread.

Maybe one of these days a state agency will figure out that as long as we have the current high populations of deer we have enjoyed the last two decades, we will see any number of population based diseases pop up, ones that probably always existed, but dont become active until needed. Like raccoons and rabies.

Many folks in here are in there teens or twenties, and couldnt possibly know how many deer we have now compared to the '60s and early '70s. The best action would be to simply harvest deer according to land capacity, REGARDLESS of what hunting groups and landowners say. What they want vs what trained biologists know are often very different numbers. Its not a fun topic, but its dead on accurate. Fewer animals makes a herd healthier.
Old 09-04-2005, 08:30 PM
Typical Buck

I hate to hear that, i hope it doesnt whipe out our deer heard. I wish it said where in Hampshire County they found it, I hunt a few spots in Hampshire. Hopefully its just an isolated thing and wont spread around.

Dave

Quick Reply: CWD confirmed in WV

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.