Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 elk in illinois? >

elk in illinois?

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

elk in illinois?

Old 12-26-2004, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default elk in illinois?

Anyone else hear about elk moving into illinois? i heard they are already in the shawnee national forest and they could be all over the state in the next 10 years! could you imagine hitting one of those with your car?
Old 12-26-2004, 02:29 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: elk in illinois?

i keep hearing that they are going to be introduced into the shawnee but don't know if they have yet
Old 12-27-2004, 07:44 PM
Typical Buck

The Shawnee could hold a nice herd of elk if the state allowed them to be introduced.

I read something a couple of years ago from the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation that the RMEF wanted to introduce them to the Shawnee, but the IDNR had said no. The species that lived in Illinois was killed out in the early 1800's and the IDNR did not want to introduce an alien species.

There are a few running around western Illinois that have escaped from elk farms, some get killed by deer hunters each year.

If you wanted one- I attended an exotic animal auction last year and saw two mature 300" plus 6x6 and 6x7 bulls sell for $800-1200. Big buffalo bulls sold for $600.

Personally, I wish elk would be introduced. I also wish they would release bears in the Shawnee. I think they would thrive down there. The problems lie with people, not nature.
Old 12-28-2004, 07:16 PM
Typical Buck

I have realetives and friends in the area and many don' want to see them introduced.There are some just across the river in Kentucky.Also know a guy that killed one two years ago, last light archery season(young cow elk)mistook it for a larger doe,it had escaped from a local farm.Yeah just imagine hitting one going down I57,or 24 through the shawnee YIKES!My brother lives in a small town in the shawnee it has been coffee shop talk for a while.
Old 12-28-2004, 07:26 PM
Fork Horn

I would love elk hunting in illinios. Only thing is..the only way to take them would be rifle and bow., no shotguns. Would any body no where I could ask somebody that would be in charge of diong this. I went to the IDNR site, but I couldnt find ne way to email them about it or ne thing ?
Old 12-29-2004, 09:22 AM
CJW

Why just rifle and bow? Using a shotgun on elk is legal in alot of states, if not all.

How big is the Shawnee National Forest? If they were released there it would be great, but the animals aren't the problem, people are.

CJW
Old 12-29-2004, 01:07 PM

too bad Indiana is mostly corn fields and cities... I'd love to see elk in Indiana. Not gonna happen. [:@]