Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Illinois Rut

Old 09-29-2005, 03:21 PM

Default Illinois Rut

I pulled a Gun Season tag for Pike County this year and was wondering whendoes the Rut usually peak in that area.We will be going out their for the second Gun Season Dec. 1,2,3,4. My friends are telling me this is the peak of the Rut in Illinois and I am saying Nov. 18 should be peak Rut time. They have been out their before, I haven't. I am looking forward to going but I don't think we will be hunting the Rut. How is the hunting during the 2nd gun season?I would appreciate any response. thanks
Old 09-29-2005, 08:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Illinois Rut

I would be very careful as to what your friends say in the future. The peak of rut will have surely passed. But I would still play my hand on heavier traffic doe trails as some will still be unbred and, well.........boys will be boys. If theres a drop af gas left in their tank - they'll be cruising.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:05 PM

Rut typically peaks around the first gun season, which is two weeks before you will be there. But, I agree with uncle matt, I've seen em' chasing well into Dec.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:16 PM

Thanks, I thought so. I am still syke up about hunting Illinois, I think it will be some hard hunting since the big boys will be heavily hunted by than and will proably benocturnal (post rut istough)Ihave been hunting along time and killed many a deer, so I just like being out their and seeing deer, even it means not killing one. I bet it is awsome hunting illinois during the rut.If anyone has any advice about hunting Illinois, I am all ears. Thanks
Old 09-29-2005, 08:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ricky - it seems like your first trip to Pike. But no matter, you chose your destination for a reason. If I were to make a journey to a place I really desired to hunt deer, what ever state/region/reason/cost..............I would hunt each and every second I possibly could. Drinking and eating good energy foods, all the sleep I could squeeeze in. Warming in to my stands or blinds well before daylight and warming off after full darknes (with an unloaded gun).

That's what I would do, maximize my opportunities.

Of course, scent-control, wind-in-the-face, etc......etc. .........but MAXIMIZE TIME AFIELD!
Old 09-30-2005, 05:25 AM

This is my first trip to Pike County and I am excited. I will hunt hard and hoping to at least see a big bruiser. If I shoot one that will even be better. The last day I will proably shoot a doe. I will leave the smaller bucks for youguys to shoot next season.I will huntearly to late evening. Thanks