Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Indiana Muzzleloader >

Indiana Muzzleloader

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Indiana Muzzleloader

Old 12-04-2004, 12:02 PM

Default Indiana Muzzleloader

Hey all! Anyone have any luck with opening day of muzzleloader? We got to our stand late, right at shooting time, and it was 20 mph winds BLECH. The wind was in our favor, but it was whippin' pretty darn good. After seeing nearly 60 deer in the first two days of shotgun, we didn't see anything until 10am today. We were planning on getting out of the stand at 9:30, since the winds were so brisk, and we did, took the long way through the woods, looking for scrapes, rubs, and tracks, also thought they might be hidin' out in there until the winds died, but nothing. We saw a couple of new scrapes, no rubs and a couple LARGE tracks!

We got to the truck about 10 or so and drove down the side road that borders the neighboring fields... we turned around in someones driveway to head towards breakfast and we saw two does running through this guy's back yard, headed right towards the set aside field our stand borders.... well, we drove back up the field and grabbed the gun and booked it BACK to our stand LOL... We were going to stalk 'em from across the set aside, but decided to sit in the stand instead. About 3 minutes after getting into our stand, I looked at the neighboring field (about 150yds) and there was one of the does standing in the clearing. I saw her right away, but I wasn't going to take the 150yd. shot, decided to wait to see if she would come in, but she didn't, she must have headed up the treeline away from us in the deep grass. [:-]

Oh well, better luck next time... we should have stalked, I would have had her.

We wanted to go out tonight, but the winds haven't subsided so we are going to wait it out until tomorrow. Wish me luck!

How'd you guys do?
Old 12-04-2004, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Indiana Muzzleloader

My buddy and I went out this morning as well. Winds were exactly how you described, so no need to elaborate further. I saw a group of 7 or 8 does again..same group I've been seeing for a while now I believe. They came out of a crick about 300 yards across an open field about 720am, feeding in the fields for a few minutes...then turned around and went back into the crick. A few weeks ago, a buck came from the same crick they did, and ran across the field right to me...but these does weren't that dumb.

As we were leaving, we saw a dead doe laying in the middle of an open field on our property. She was small, the gun shot wound was a bad one, 100% gut shot. Only thing I could figure is that someone shot her last sunday during with a shotgun, ran off...died a couple days later on our property..and has been there since. We dragged her into a thick tree-line..b/c I was affraid other deer going thru the area might be spooked by it.

We WOULD be going back later...but I gotta start xmas shopping tonight. Plus...it gives me an excuse to go to Gander Mountain and Dicks.
Old 12-04-2004, 02:06 PM
Typical Buck

Was a bit windy this morning, seen 14 or 15 does, button bucks and a decent ten point chasing a small doe. Maybe the second rut is starting to kick. Passed the ten up 3 times in bow seaon and twice during firearms. If he makes it another year he should be a 150 class buck. Same here on too windy this eve. Give heck tomorrow.
Old 12-04-2004, 02:11 PM

Roger, whereabouts are you in Indiana? Sounds like you had a good day... Pat, yours sounds pretty good too, although 300 yds is a weeee bit out of range, eh? So, you'll be in my neck of the woods tonight then, huh? When you go to Gander, you're only about 4 minutes from my house! Enjoy, they had a game cam on sale last month for $80 down from $160! I didn't buy one.

Happy hunting tomorrow, Hoosiers, hopefully the rain will hold off until evening.
Old 12-04-2004, 02:18 PM
Typical Buck

South of Warsaw a ways. We been passing up the youngsters for years and it has started to pay off. Did let my Grandson shoot a year and a half old eight point for his first buck!!! Made my season seeing the look in his eyes.
Old 12-04-2004, 02:22 PM

yep, I only have a couple more years before my oldest will be out there takin' her first.... can't wait, she's 5.
Old 12-04-2004, 03:20 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-04-2004, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

My buddy and I have a digital trail cam we picked up last spring at Cabelas...all we get on it is trees swaying back and forth and the occasional raccoon or so. We did get a buck and a few does...but that was out of HUNDREDS of pictures.

We did see a bunch of deer on the way up to Ft. Wayne...out in the fields..around 4pm or so. Won't do me any good..I'll hunt tomorrow morning..then come home to watch the Colts play.
Old 12-05-2004, 10:55 AM

Bum deal... this was our first trip out that we didn't see at least one deer. Oh well, better luck next weekend I hope...

How about you guys?
Old 12-05-2004, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

We didn't go out today...we slept in..and are now watching the Colts whoop Tennessee's arse!

Quick Reply: Indiana Muzzleloader

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.