Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Illinois CRP Strategy w/map >

Illinois CRP Strategy w/map

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Illinois CRP Strategy w/map

Old 10-20-2004, 06:45 PM

Default Illinois CRP Strategy w/map

Just wandering if you guys could help me with this. I've heard people talking about a big buck on this area. My brother saw him. He is massive. What would be the best way to hunt it? The little ditch on the north is what they use to get to the big woods. I really think that the buck lives there though. In the green boxes are crops right by the creek. I'm pretty sure they are beans. The trees are mostly pines and are about 13ft now. There is an open spot in the northwest crp corner that runs all the way down to the creek.(no pine trees just small oak here) Both of the CRP plots are on a hill. The deer run the creek too, and that large hedgerow in the left hand side of the picture has a lot of rubs. No trees big enough for stands, but I do have a tripod. I could build a blind too. What do you guys think? Sorry for the pink writing...it doesnt show up too good.

Old 10-20-2004, 07:10 PM
Spike

Default RE: Illinois CRP Strategy w/map

How are you planning to hunt? Bow? Shotgun? Building a blind now I think might be a bad option too late in the season for them to really get used to it being there. The tripod option might work well if you can hide in the pines at a good spot to get some natural cover around it. Is the deer bedding in the woods or crp area? Remember after rut starts he is most likely going to really range out to breed as many does as he can depending on how many are in the area if he is the dominate male in the area. Try to get some field time in monitoring all the deer movements to try and pattern the does.
Old 10-20-2004, 08:52 PM

Default RE: Illinois CRP Strategy w/map

My brother saw 13 does last time and two bucks. They bed right in the crp and then move out to to fields. I'm going to try both bow and shotgun this year. Last year was just shotgun.