Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 clinton lake in Illinois >

clinton lake in Illinois

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

clinton lake in Illinois

Old 09-20-2004, 08:32 AM
Typical Buck

Default clinton lake in Illinois

Does anyone hunt clinton lake here in illinois? If so how is the deer hunting?
Old 09-20-2004, 09:55 PM

Default RE: clinton lake in Illinois

i have never hunted there but have some friends that do and they said that its pretty good. one has killed a deer or two from there
Old 09-21-2004, 06:02 PM
Fork Horn

If you do hunt Clinton Lake and don't have any luck check into Weldon Springs, it's just a few miles from the lake(outside of the town Clinton). I think last year was the first year hunting was permitted there.

silbowhunter
Old 09-22-2004, 05:00 AM
Spike

I Have hunted there in the past and have faired pretty well. There are some conditions for hunting at the site you need to follow. You have to go to the office at Mascouton to check in and sign up for the season and you are given a harvest report card to carry in your truck and it needs to be in your winsheild area while hunting so they know who belongs to the truck. You can leave a portable tree stand that has your name and address on it in the tree all season but after it needs to come down or they will take it out (no screw in steps allowed) at season end. Also some of Clinton lake is in the Archery deer hunting restricted zone only antlered deer can be taken from Oct 1 to Oct. 15th after that all does are fair game. Otherwise I like the area it is close to where I live (Champaign) and there is alot of cover and good mix of woods and farmground but it gets a fair ammount of pressure but if you are willing to look around alot you can usually find a decent area to hund in.
Old 09-22-2004, 05:06 PM
Typical Buck

Hunt on opening weekend of pheasant season and find yourself a nice tight travel route. Pack a lunch sit back and relax and try to hunt the entire day. The pheasant hunters move the deer all over the first day so its a pretty good day to sit.
Old 09-25-2004, 08:00 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks guys I live in champaign and will give it a try this year. I just always heard that the land gets hunted hard.