Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Kansas deer hunt booked >

Kansas deer hunt booked

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Kansas deer hunt booked

Old 01-02-2004, 09:16 AM

Default Kansas deer hunt booked

I just boked a whitetail hunt in Kansas for next fall during rifle season. It will be in the Manhattan/Junction City area. What is the hunting like in that general area. We were told to expect some VERY big bucks. This is my first experience with an out of state deer hunt, so I dont know what to expect. It seems like the rifle season in Kansas is after the rut, how does that work out? He says we will be hunting leases that havent been pressured at all during bow season. Id rather go with a bow, but the group Im going with wanted to go rifle so they will have a better chance of filling their tag.
Old 01-05-2004, 07:54 AM

Default RE: Kansas deer hunt booked

Angus
I live 20 min. north of Wichita, true rifle season is at the tail end of Rut. Do you know if you are hunting feeders or rattling them in? Either way I wish you luck and remember when the wind blows there is Nothing to stop it, we do not dress for the degree of weather we dress for the wind chilllllll. You will prob. hunt around Fort Riley. Should be some good hunting.......
Old 01-05-2004, 06:30 PM

How much did that hunt cost you, if you don't mind sharing? I'm just curious since I'm moving to Kansas this spring to the Pratt area and I might book a guided hunt my first year there (this fall it would be), just so I can get adjusted to the new area, hunting different animals, etc. I'm sure it's going to be a big change from Alaska hunting.

I guess I also won't need my 338 Win. Mag. or my 375 H&H anymore. At least I have my 270 WSM and a 30-06 to use.
Old 01-06-2004, 10:09 PM

bearhunter... The hunt is pretty high, 2650.00, but the guide is very confident in his leases, more confident than anyone Ive talked with, even offers a partial refund if were not happy with what he has to offer. We will be hunting funnel areas and possibly a little rattling. I noticed your from Wasilla, my wife was born in Anchorage and lived in Wasilla for most of her young life, I also an uncle that lives there. Anyway, back to the hunt, I dont think he has anymore openings for this fall, but I can check if you want me to. I know the group Im going with has all of the slots filled for the first 5 days of season.
Old 01-07-2004, 10:32 AM
Fork Horn

bearhunter u might want to save your money when you move their just go around and ask permission i know 4 guys that go their every year hunt on their own pass on 150 deer they shot 2 non-typicals scoring over 200'' the last 2 years
Old 01-08-2004, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt that area. The quality of deer in the flint hills is as big as any area, guarenteed. A lot of non-typ genetics, have seen buck with as many as 5 droptines and over 30 points, but they get smart after bowseason is over. There aren't a lot of deer per area, but they do get big. What outfitter are you going with? It shouldn't be much of a problem for an outfitter to get you on a nice buck, as long as he has enough land.
Old 01-08-2004, 05:53 PM

kshunter, The guy we are hunting with has 7000 acres under lease, he says most of the farms are 400-500 acres each. He doesnt take a lot of people and he says he doesnt take bowhunters on the same land as gunhunters, so we are supposed to be hunting farms that havent been hunted until we get there. He claimed that all six of us should take a deer and he says he expects one of us to take a 170" or better. Hes really confident, he says we should have some opportunities at really big deer.