Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Missouri hunters??? >

Missouri hunters???

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Missouri hunters???

Old 12-29-2003, 03:08 PM

Default Missouri hunters???

I may have the oppurtunity to move to or near Springfield, MO. I have read that the better deer hunting is in the Northern areas of the state. How is the deer hunting around Springfield? Are there alot of deer, are there big deer. Is their any public land around there? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Also, how is the turkey hunting?? Thanks I am really curious about MO.
Old 12-29-2003, 03:43 PM

Default RE: Missouri hunters???

I am from Joplin, MO which is 1 hour from Springfield. I don't know the exact area around Springfield but I know there is a lot of public land really close to Springfield. It should be excellent hunting for deer and turkey. Texas county is close to the area and it has the biggest kill numbers year after year. The deer are larger in the northern half of the state but I'm sure you could find some nice deer just to the north of Springfield. Also if you like to fish you would only be 30 minutes from three really nice large lakes with excellent fishing. Two around Branson and one north of there.
Old 01-10-2004, 07:40 PM

HI LA!
Missouri is a great place for the outdoorsman. In the south you'll have quick access to lots of great lakes and fishing. Also lots of deer, but I will say not near the size as you can find in northern MO. South is drier with fescue grass and acorns. North has a better mix of rowcrop, timber, warm season grass CRP, alfalfa and clover hay fields. MO has lots of public state and national parks, each with different hunting regulations. Do an online search of Missouri Department of Conservation and I'm sure you'll find all the info you'll need. Depending on where you are in the state, prepare for eastern turkeys, whitetail deer, bobwhite quail, pheasants, dove, ducks, geese, numerous small game and predators. I'm from Caldwell county (northwest). My last buck scored 142 2/8. My spring turkeys weighed 23 1/2 & 24 1/4lb., 10 & 11 1/2in. beards, with 1 & 1 1/4inch spurs. Good luck establishing your own Missouri hunting memories!
Old 01-11-2004, 02:57 PM

Missouri is great!!! we have tons of public hunting lands and we also have the highest turkey kill in the country we beat out the second place state by almost 20,000 birds last year!!! The deer hunting is good too but your right its better up north because of the crops but each year quite a few people take larger bucks from the ozark area and anywhere else in Missouri